The "Illuminate This" board

It’s been a while since I’ve done SMD work so I’m re-watching @tomkeddie’s videos.

2 Likes

ty for this.

2 Likes

Is anyone gonna oven it? Still doable without a stencil. I think we still have toothpicks. I prefer the hand soldering. I guess this will finally teach me to remember how smd led polarity is indicated.

1 Like

Maybe not… these LEDs are really obvious since the pads match the layout (one long pad, one short pad).

I expect most people will oven these boards, but you are free to solder as you please. :smiley:

1 Like

Amazing! That makes things easier. Super excited for this. I’ll bring a visor so we have another one around and all my reading glasses. :smiley:

1 Like

It was asked on Slack if a PartyCat can control one of these (the PWM for dimming, they aren’t programmable LEDs).

Can someone bring a party cat to the build night so we can check it out?

Bonus points if someone brings a completed Bikeshed board.

1 Like

I’m in for the build nite. I can bring a partycat.

FWIW the Aluminum board might behave a little differently in the oven wrt to reflow temperature profile. @packetbob might have some insight.

2 Likes

I have no insight (but recommend you try some test runs before doing a group thing)…
However if it helps I can bring my own toaster re-flow oven on the 25th so that you have two ovens to use…

3 Likes

I plan on running a full board test before the night to validate the end-to-end production.

Thanks for the offer, that would be awesome!

2 Likes

I’ll also bring my solder paste dispenser assuming we have compressed air at the space…
Think it even has some solder past in it…

3 Likes

a quick little mounting bracket for the illuminate this board that also works as a difuser mount.
ALuminate this mount.stl (584.0 KB)

2 Likes

I love this design. Thanks Jim! This is just the motivation I need to get back to working on those boards. I have a bunch sitting right here on my desk.

1 Like

And if anyone needs the newer version of the board or the stencil, I have extras sitting in my bin, just let me know what you take and I can point you toward the VHS PayPal to settle up :wink:

2 Likes

In #greenthumb on slack a few of us were talking about using these for growlights. I know Steve Roy had some success with that. They’re perfectly sized for sticking to the underneath of a kitchen cabinet.

Yes, I found an old baking pan at Value Village and with nylon stand-offs use it as a light for my seed starting.

3 Likes

@winegummo Great design, I have printed a couple. Thanks

2 Likes

Another iteration. thinking I might make a few for lighting washes around the living room.

Illuminate this.zip (599.7 KB)

6 Likes

Wow, So awesome!!!

Now that people are starting to get back into the space, has anyone made one lately? I’m curious how many we have left and if I should order another batch.

:edit:
Reminder, if you want one, they are in the top of my bin with the stencil. Make sure to donate to VHS (suggested donation is $3-5 per board)

2 Likes

I grabbed a couple boards today. There are still 12 more illuminate this boards in the bin under the electronics area. Winter is coming.

3 Likes

I can make another order, thanks for a heads up.

1 Like