Poll: Why Have You Not Bought a VHS Membership Card?

Continuing the discussion from VHS Membership Cards are here!:

I am shocked at how few have been adopted so put it out there… why haven’t you bought one?

• I did!
  • $5 is too expensive
  • I didn’t realize we had them!
  • They are boring and just sit there; they don’t DO anything
  • I tried but couldn’t figure out how
  • Other [please leave a comment or PM me if it is personal]
0 voters

Other: Cause I got slammed with the ban hammer, LOL.

They have been available for three months; invalid excuse.

1 Like

Well my other excuse is that nobody told me about them for three months. I’'ll get one asap

2 Likes

Hardly ever in the space lately.

What would I do with it?

2 Likes

Valid. What would you use it for? If you don’t come down often, what might incentivize you to get onboard?

If we were to formalize a discount at Lees, for example, which required you to show the card, would that be incentive enough? There is a member working on an RFID activated locker to sell kits out of where you can tap your card and if you have an order waiting it’ll open. Looking for honest answers so we can get this ball rolling. Feel free to PM me if you’d rather.

1 Like

Yes this is very useful.

“RFID activated locker to sell kits out of where you can tap your card and
if you have an order waiting it’ll open.”

It would also be useful to RFID activate a registered locker access for
personal item storage. And share that access among friends working on the
same project.

It is easier for me to buy online and have it delivered to my office or my
wife’s office, than make the trip to Lees.

2 Likes

I’m not really keen on carrying yet another card around in my wallet unless it adds value. If the card would get me in the door, get me discounts at suppliers or provide some other value then I would be happy to purchase one. If not, I don’t see the point of having a membership card.

4 Likes

Think of it as supporting the space!

1 Like

Thanks. This is the kind of feedback I was hoping to see. I suspect that we have a chicken/egg problem. There was talk of making the cards activate the laser cutter’s interlock rather than logging in online, for example, but with only 10 cards active there isn’t must pressure or point in actually MAKING the devices to use the cards. Any suggestions on how you would LIKE to see the cards used might prod someone with a project that piques their interest.

1 Like

Supporting the space can be done by donating money, how does supporting a
card help that goal?

1 Like

because VHS still gets the money

This. My wallet

I have way too many cards already!

1 Like

I have the RFID reader working with a ESP (wireless) and the VHS Membership cards.

Currently the prototype on my desk, checks the cards against Nomos (members management system) to see if the members card is valid and what permissions they have, then flips a GPIO pin accordingly. First project is to do the inside door, then asset control (laser cutter, lathe, etc…)

There will always be a non-card way to enter the space, access the tools, etc… Having the card access control will not prevent people who do not have a membership card from using the tools.

I was waiting until the Nomos Hackathon before installing it.

I also have a game set up that uses ANY RFID card (including the VHS membership cards, or compass cards) that you can play while at VHS.

3 Likes

Didn’t know they were for sale yet. Can I buy one on Tuesday in person?

The way it is set up right now, the payment HAS to come through paypal for the card to get activated. The card gets linked tot he paypal account you use in the membership dues database.

My lame excuses was that I would do it later and then completely forgot.
I just ordered one.

2 Likes

Was too busy when I first read the announcement and then filed it away for “later”. I still haven’t figured out what day “later” is. :slightly_smiling:
Will probably get one “soon”. :wink:
edit: Guess today is “soon”. Card ordered!

1 Like

All the code I used to do my locker door is at RFID membership card activated locker door - #7 by laftho

Am planning to add wifi and query the database to allow all members to access it and get parts.

3 Likes