Poll: Why Have You Not Bought a VHS Membership Card?

I don’t think I actually made the official announcement yet that they were generally available! :laughing: It’s kinda early access still because we don’t yet have door access implemented and lots of people may struggle to see the value beyond the cool factor. But if you’re keen, certainly go and get one! Nomos

The cards are not mandatory and will never be, the purchase price of the card goes straight to VHS. Although, technically they cost ~$0.60 each, however, that is for 500 units (minimum we could order) and we estimated we’d sell around 60-70 cards, that works out to about break even for the project. That said, this isn’t a money making scheme for VHS or otherwise, it is about getting member cards to aid in formalizing our discounts with vendors, to provide convenient space and tool access (think laser cutter, front door, CNC machines, etc), and to have a VHS token for members to hack and play with!

The technology is NFC, which is nicely standardized and nearly ubiquitous. This is the same as your compass cards, etc. Currently we aren’t doing anything with the payload on the cards so they are re-writable when you get them (careful to not lock it!). We may at some point in the future put some sort of auth token payloads or whatever on the cards. But the point is, you could use any NFC card you wish to register for your access, even your cell phone itself as the card would work.

My plan was to make the official announcement and push of the cards once we had some supporting services. Some members have been doing awesome work putting together reads and cool hacks that use the cards! I think once we have door access (even just for the inner door) is when I’ll make the announcement. All that said, they are available and get one now! Nomos

I forgot to add that since I got my VHS card I am setting off the shoplifter alarm at my local Shoppers when I enter and exit. I haven’t proved it is the vhs card though. I have to make sure I have my wallet on the side away from the antenna to avoid setting it off (right side on entry, left side on exit). Bonus feature!

4 Likes

Good argument for RFID blocking wallet.

I never leave home without one.

1 Like

Well, there is your answer to the poll.

Can we buy more than one then? Considering that it is about a 5:1 ratio? How much for the additional cards? They could be useful for projects. Now I regret not grabbing a handful of RFID cards when the ID card printer was recycled.

Maybe. There was a post three months ago saying they were here, about 10 people bought them immediately then nothing since. I’m curious why, that’s all.

For those playing along at home, there are now 19 cards in the wild, 6 of
them since yesterday

1 Like

I already support the space by paying for a keyholder membership even though I rarely use the VHS facilities. I assume the cost of the membership card just covers the cost of the card.

3 Likes

In short, yes, it’s only to cover the cost. In the event we sell more than 60-70 then it would be past break even and additional revenue. Ultimately yes the price is simply to cover the cost of these cards as well as a general membership card program (ie. if we need to order more cards). The cards are optional. Any implementation we may have that necessitates NFC would work with any NFC card and/or cell phone (it is possible to register any NFC ID with your VHS account and use it for auth).

Yes, you may buy as many cards as you like. Note that all cards you purchase will be linked to your personal VHS account and may be used to authenticate as you. So you wouldn’t want to give them away :slightly_smiling:

Also, the 500 cards are meant to last us for a few years but I don’t think we have enough attrition to eat that away to restrict selling multiples to individual members. That said, we must associate the cards to an account because we don’t want extras in the wild that people might use unfairly with our vendors. These cards are the genuine VHS member cards, and registered as such, which some vendors may accept for discounts on sight. We have the capabilities for vendors to validate genuine cards to ensure valid membership and authenticity of the cards themselves if they so desire.

Not a member anymore.
“The way it is set up right now, the payment HAS to come through paypal
for the card to get activated. The card gets linked tot he paypal
account you use in the membership dues database.”
Well, that’s another reason, paypal wants my bank account number.

Yeah, my password and tagname still get me in the conversation… :slight_smile: