"Papercrafting for Rapid Prototyping" Workshop

Monday, 27 October 7:30-10:00ish

Someone [Sorry, I don’t want to use a real name and I don’t know your handle] hosted a “Papercrafting for Rapid Prototyping Workshop” back in June and I will be hosting another this Monday My thought is to do a quick talk on the process and have some beginner models ready to go that participants can assemble to get a feel for the process as well as some more complex completed models to see where you can go from there.

WHAT TO BRING
All materials will be supplied but if you can bring a bottle of glue, that would help speed things along. I recommend Aleen’s Fast Grab Tacky Glue which they sell all over but I know Michael’s carries it. Alternatively, your favorite crazy glue should work just fine as well. You just need something with a fast set time. An exacto, a ruler, and a cutting mat are also highly recommended but I’ll bring as many as I can gather up.

An optional donation to the VHS Donatio jar is encouraged.

3 Likes

I’d be interested

1 Like

Me too

Oh yes - this would be excellent thanks.

This came up by way of a discussion last night with @garthomite so I assume I might be able to entice him out as well if the timing is right so I’ll say four people in twenty minutes in the middle of the work day will qualify as sufficient interest.

As this will take little lead-in prep, and this coming Monday [27 Oct] is open, I can schedule it for that evening if that works for the three of you?

Okay, but only if it gets advertised as a craft night too

1 Like

Awesome, I’m in as well!

1 Like

@jarrett - not sure why that would matter as there is nothing on the calendar, but that was the intent. It qualifies as crafting in my opinion.

Does that mean you’re not doing chainmaille on the 27th?

Papercrafting sounds interesting. I’d be curious to check that out.

1 Like

@InezG I’m going to need time to set up the kits for the chainmaille; this is something I can jump into without spending a couple hours of prep time. I’ll do the chainmaille soon though; someone graciously donated some chainmailling rings on the condition that they go to a workshop so I’m looking forward to getting that organized as well.

I’d like to join in to if there is still room.

Mark

1 Like

I’ll bring enough models for everyone who replies here plus a few extras just in case. There should be room for everybody

Oh, an exacto and cutting mat are also recommended. Added to the OP

I’d also like to participate.

1 Like

Interested.

1 Like

Looks like I might have a visitor or two coming in for their first visit to the space for this as well, so yay for that!

2 Likes

Looks like around 10 people? Trying to print off some simple models that people can try but my printer is of course on the fritz. They may not be the prettiest things, but you’ll have something to work with.

Finalized Details:

WHAT: “Papercrafting for Rapid Prototyping” Workshop

WHEN: Monday, 27 October from 7:30 - 10ish

WHERE: The Bunker [270 1st Ave E, Vancouver BC V5T 1A6]

WHAT: A quick demo of the process from beginning 3D model to finished fiberglass product including examples of every stage in the process, Q&A as desired and a hands-on workshop where you will build a beginner-level paper model from a 3D model that has already been designed for you. Given the time of year, I found a highly fitting model that will suit our needs nicely. We’ll be making these masks.

COST: Free to all, members and non-members alike, but an optional donation to the venue is encouraged.

WHAT YOU GET: I will supply the cardstock printouts required to build the model as well as some glue, tape, rulers, exacto knives, and some scrap cardboard to use as a cutting mat. I’ll also bring a selection of colored markers to decorate if you want.

WHAT TO BRING: If you have any of the above supplies that you can use, and perhaps a spare to share [exactos in particular, I have plenty of blades but only a few handles] please bring it as that will reduce the need to share and speed everyone up. If you have any fun glitter or whatever other supplies you want to decorate with, have at it. If you are bringing your own glue, I highly recommend a “fast grab” tacky glue like Aleen’s which I buy from Micheal’s, or a fast-drying crazy glue.

1 Like

We had a great turnout and everyone walked out with a finished mask! Consensus seems to be that they would like another so next time I’ll have some of these beginner models and another slightly more complex one for those who came out tonight.

A few people had to leave earlier but here’s a picture of several completed builds and… some guy.

A HUGE thank you to all who came out!

4 Likes

Thanks for putting this on. It was great fun and definitely much easier than I thought it would be.

1 Like