"Papercraft for Rapid Prototyping" Workshop 2

Monday, 23 Feb 7:30-10:00ish

This is the second “Papercrafting for Rapid Prototyping Workshop” in the series. I’ll have the same beginner’s model on hand for newcomers and a new one for anyone who wants to try a different model.

WHAT TO BRING
All materials will be supplied but if you can bring a bottle of glue, that would help speed things along. I recommend Aleen’s Fast Grab Tacky Glue which they sell all over but I know Michael’s carries it. Alternatively, your favorite crazy glue should work just fine as well. You just need something with a fast set time. An exacto, a ruler, and a cutting mat are also highly recommended but I’ll bring as many as I can gather up.

An optional donation of $5 to the VHS Donatio jar is encouraged.

It is HIGHLY recommended that you bring your own bottle of Alleen’s glue.

I’ll post the second model here when I decide what to do. I’m leaning toward one of the masks from Mortal Kombat. Scorpion, perhaps? It is hard to find one which can be done in a few hours, appeal to everyone, AND keep interest.

I think I found it. It is a little more complicated than the beginners mask, should appeal to everyone, and isn’t too terribly complex!

Model 2 will be Benny, the Lego Astronaut

If my math is right, it should stand a little over 7" tall and 4" wide

1 Like

I’m in! Looking forward to it.

Going to give Picatic a shot organizing this. Please RSVP here so I can have enough of each model to go around. I’ll bring a few extra of each, just to be sure.

Event Organizer: Become an Event Hosting Legend | Eventbrite

Responded to the wrong thing. I’m in!

1 Like

This looks awesome. Sign me up!

1 Like

there.

Above link is TMI for me. I’ll be there and would like the “advanced” version

Thanks

1 Like

This looks very cool. I signed up for the advanced model cuz that’s what I’d prefer to make, even though I had no idea what Papercrafting was until you mentioned it. :smile: So if you think I really need to start with the mask, I will. Looks like a really interesting method … I’m really looking forward to this.

(signed up via the link already)

1 Like

I would say that the lego is possible for a first timer but only if you are willing to finish it at home. The mask is a great first time model because I like people to walk away with a completed project, especially their first time trying it. If that is where you want to start then we’ll see what we can get done!

Unfortunately I won’t be able to make it on monday, but I’m curious what software you use for this. Do you have some kind of app that opens DXF files and calculates an optimal folding pattern based on paper sheet sizes, and then automatically adds tabs for gluing?

Nope, don’t come to the workshop, you don’t get all the secrets! That’s how it works!

I did a short writeup on it in the thread for the last event [linked above] but the short version is “kinda”. There are a lot of programs and plugins to do it. I’ve used a Blender plugin a few times but my main program is Pepakura Designer. It takes your 3D model and flattens it, but it isn’t very smart; you have to go through and convert giant-flat-blob into buildable pieces using a tool where all you do is click on the folds that you want to cut, then shuffle them around to fit them on a sheet to print. It does/can automagically add the tabs and numbering though, and it saves the face correlations so when building the model you can hover over a surface and it shows which one mates to it, n matter where you moved it to, so that’s awfully handy.

1 Like

Alright, according to the signups I’ll need 3 masks and 2 Lego, so I printed 5 and 3 in case someone else shows up. Come on out and join us.

[bump]

1 Like

My apologies for the late sign up. I would be interested as well. I may have a +1 as well. Both of us are new to papercraft prototyping.

Thanks in advance,

L

Edit: I’ve signed up with your link above.

1 Like

Excellent, see you [two?] this evening. I’ll print another couple models in case we get any drop-ins. A reminder to all, please bring as much of the following as you can:

Cutting mat
X-Acto
Straightedge/ruler [metal ideally, but plastic works]
Fast-drying glue [Alleen’s Fast Tack works perfectly]
Donatio to the space

[[ @Liline, @RandyNW, @Majicj, @Logan_Buchy, @caseywong ]]

So my Tier 2 model was definitely biting off more than we could chew. Apologies to @Majicj and @RandyNW. I’m going to blow the lego figurine model up about 300% scale and @Majicj is going to try cutting it out on his plotter and we’ll make it a group project next time around. It will result in a roughly 1/2 meter tall lego astronaut. As it was printed it was just insanely too small to work with.

@Janet, @InezG, @Jarrett, @3bien : You folks were at the last one, would you possibly be willing to jump in on an arm or a leg to help us out next time?

2 Likes

Sure, I’d be happy to join in and help put. Today was a bad day for me.

1 Like

Props to @miststlkr for running a most excellent workshop today. Had a blast! Looking forward to the blown-up Tier 2 model.

1 Like

Sure, I could help build an arm or a leg.

1 Like

I can help! Sounds fun…:slight_smile:

1 Like