Maker Faire 2016 - Group projects

Continuing the discussion from Thank you VHS VMMF volunteers!:

We are the Hackspace the started Vancouver Mini Maker Faire (we funded the first Faire, Got the grant, and our members hosted it and started it) It would be great to have a VHS Village.

If we can get together and get 7+ projects from our members, we can make a themed village and do a really strong push at Maker Faire next year. Each of the projects could be worked on by multiple members as VHS group projects. If VHS had money these project could be funded by VHS for Maker Faire. If VHS has extra space these project could be built over the year at VHS.

We get most of our members from Maker Faire each year. There is a huge surge right after every Maker Faire. This surge helps us continue throughout the year.

What kind of large VHS group projects could we make?

I’m going to start a few threads on this subject and link them here.

2 Likes

I have at least three projects that I have not started and would like to
use as a group project.

Additionally, do other people have large in-progress projects that they
need significant help with? I have one of those, too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a bunch of projects that I’d like to make for 2016, if I still live
in Vancouver.

1 Like

Seeing the various other maker spaces did get me thinking about getting some of my own projects finished and possibly use at the VHS booth next year…

I have been working on some animatronic props with an eventual plan to use them in a Halloween show. There are a couple 3 axis skulls, couple of heads with moving mouths, a Santa figure and a talking tree…

The various props, lights, strobes & smoke machines are all controlled via DMX signalling from a PC running a sequencing app (called Visual Show Automation or VSA for short). Once the mechanics are done, you basically make a script, do the voice over, add some sound effect to get your sound track. Then you sequence it all in VSA and trigger the various sequences as you see fit.

The mechanics and control systems I can get done but the script, voice over and sound effects I’ll need help with and most likely the sequencing…

If other have any sort of animatronics they want to add we could add them also (I have various DMX control boards)…

The script could be VHS centric and if it ran every 30 minutes or so could draw a bit of attention…

Anyways now that I have mentioned it I better go dig up the various parts and pieces and get started on it…

1 Like

Reviving this thread. @rsim and I are looking at doing a table based on OpenPNP. Perhaps his could be part of the VHS “village”.

One of the things the company I work for does at trade shows is put their signage in as many booths as they can. Perhaps a sign stating something like “Some of us are VHS members”.

Has anyone asked @ashleyif he would be interested in having his new monster 3D Printer at Makerfaire?

Anybody else but me that would want to build a flying, seeing and hearing electronic super-bug,
that would b able to distribute drinks, coffee , and snacks safely in a fairly noisy and crowded space?