Wood Turning Class - Sign up list

Great class Mike! I learned a lot. I can highly recommend it for anyone to get a hands on intro to wood lathe.

Mark

2 Likes

Thanks Mark!

I’ve added you @brusser and @miststlkr; I’ve updated the most recent listing post to reflect the current state.

For everyone else, I should have another class date figured out in the next few days.

1 Like

Looking forward for my turn :slight_smile: What are you guys usually turn for class?

1 Like

Mike has a few projects up his sleeve. Mimi and I made this cool woodcarving mallet. J.L Martin on Instagram: "Learned to use a lathe and made this woodworking mallet with @xquared_design last night at @vanhackspace"

1 Like

Most classes we’ve done a wood turned box. But to go from no experience, learn the basic cuts with the most common tools up to making a box in one session was taking a bit too long, so I’ve mixed it up (also for my own personal interest).

With Janet and Mimi, we started a bit late and Janet has been doing some wood carving, so we figured the mallet was a good project. This last Thursday I had two people who had turned before, so we focused more on technique with more advanced cuts on the skew chisel, and some wood preparation techniques. I keep the classes small enough where everyone has their own lathe. If you have something that you’d like to work on, tell me ahead of time and we can figure out if it is viable.

I think I’m going to keep mixing up the project as I go forward; as it keeps it interesting for me, and keeps me thinking on my toes. My favorite professors at University did the same thing, and I think it helps keep the instructor engaged and not running on autopilot.

Ideas for future classes so far are:

Toy tops, Mallets (though that would probably take a second class for the mortising), stool legs, honey dippers, etc.

If you have an idea for something you’d like me to make you can also post it here!

Also, as a cross-plug. Make sure you check out the woodturner’s guild. I hear great things and intend to go for the first time this month.

-Mike

4 Likes

Very beautiful!

1 Like

I think it’s a great idea to keep changing projects otherwise you would get bored pretty fast. I love your idea about making a mortise. This is something I were looking to buy actually a bit ago but couldn’t find.
Thanks for a link, I’ll check it out :slight_smile:

Total aside: I’m still carving but on hiatus due to lack of greenwood. If any sees any random fruitwood branches lying around please let me know.

1 Like

A mixed-wood dice cup would be a fun one for gamers. I’d like to try that, but for the class I’ll do whatever you have in mind.

1 Like

That should be doable!

You’ll want to prepare the glueup ahead of time. Go ahead and PM me if you have questions, but ideally choose similar density hardwood and glue in the same grain direction.

1 Like

Hey! I’d love to be put on the list for the next class!

1 Like

Hi Mike. I’m really interested in joining your class, I would appreciate it if you add me to the list. Thanks.

Saleh

1 Like

That is awesome. Bammbamm would be proud.

1 Like

I just wanted to say I really enjoyed this class, and say Mike makes it very accessible to people that are just starting out. As someone that hasnt been in a woodshop since highschool shop class, I enjoyed learning and felt much more confident by the end. Tip of the hat bud!

5 Likes

I just want to say, for everyone wanting to turn, and those who have turned, check out the Greater Vancouver woodturning guild. I went last night and it is a positively awesome experience.

@Stevemopolis is their new president; he did a killer job with a well-run meeting. The meetings are highly structured, and they have an excellent on-boarding process (we should take notes on that).

I brought my first bowl there to ask what I did wrong, and wow, did I get great advice! I’ve got some things to practice! Also, if you bring something to show, you can place it on their instant gallery and get very thoughtful discussion at the end of the night. The questions raised for each piece were well considered to discuss challenges, what went right, and were so on-point. I’ve only been in thoughtful analytical artistic/procedural analysis/critiques back in Art school. It really took me back!

I even learned a few things that I’m doing wrong in our classes!!! I’m certainly going back! Also, something I didn’t realize is they have wood blanks for sale there; lots of pretty flamed maple, burls, and a little bit of figured walnut!

Thanks @Stevemopolis, and to all the wood turners at VHS! I’ll post a reminder in talk before the next event; it sounds like the demo at the next event is certainly something to be seen!

6 Likes

Hi all,

I have a last-minute cancellation on this night’s class due to illness. If anyone wants the replacement slot, the class starts in about 40 minutes; I know this is a long shot but just putting it out there in case we can fill that slot.

-Mike

The class is now full. Thanks!

HI Mike, can you please add me back to the list. I was scheduled for a class late last year, but you got attacked by the flu I think.

2 Likes

Oh I’m so sorry; I thought I had managed that properly, you are back on the list!!!

1 Like

Interested.:smile:

1 Like