So as you may be aware we have a functional video wall in the space now, and playing games on it is AWESOME (seriously, try tengen tetris for NES, it has a two player coop mode that is a fantastic relationship tester).
This then begs the question of what do we do with the remaining 4 LED panels we were given?
First some background notes:
- the system goes basically pc -> sender card -> reciever card - > led panel - > led modules
- works exactly like a monitor, takes a portion of the display and mirrors it.
- we definitely have enough working 16x16 LED modules to get 3 more of the panels running.
- we have an entire bankers box of Schrodinger modules that might be functional
- we definitely have 3 more working receiver cards
- we have 2 more receiver cards that are not configured correctly and display really awesome glitch art
- we could figure out the configuration settings for the receiver card, I got most of it working but got hung up on the pixel draw order, this could be an hour to fix, could be a weeks work
- our sender card can drive more receiver cards, but without having the configuration settings for the receiver cards we are limited in how we can set them up.
- each panel is 112x128 pixels, measures 44x50.5" weighs around 80 pounds, and draws up to 8amps of 120v ac, running it at 20% brightness drops the consumption to 1 amp draw at full white.
- We did a group buy on the last sender card, 3bien, jon, Metal_Janet, mirong & packetbob and myself kicked in. steve roy made some cables, I paid out of pocket for the steel and other supplies (~$400, I am thinking I will put a tip jar on the sign if no one objects).
- I put in a bunch of hours to get this running, and am looking to hand over the next part as much as possible, but can help.
To get another display going we would need:
- to get another sender card (in theory we could drive it all off the one, but it gets awkward with how the thing works) - cost is ~$200 (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32814924365.html?spm=a2g0s.90423126.96.36.199474c4dNQuJmx)
- find a home for it
- buy some steel and build a support frame
Some ideas that have been tossed around:
- Sidewalk pong - screens in the front window, sensors outside, two player pong played by people on the sidewalk
- Attic kaleidoscope - run one or two screens flat in the attic, mount mirrors above them, stare at and enjoy
- Led work tables, mount screens under a plexiglas cover, play games
- mobileish screens for events
- junk it and sell parts to members
So votes? Post any other ideas below
- Sidewalk pong - screens in the front window
- Attic kaleidoscope
- Led work tables
- Mobileish screens for events
- Junk it and sell parts to members