The Doughocracy - Sourdough Starter Requests, Results, & Bread Talk

@Janet what are we supposed to do with the starter to keep it alive?

1 Like

1. if not using right away: keep in fridge, once a week get out of fridge and feed 1:1:1 by weight starter, flour, water. Let that do it’s thing for a few hours, then put back in fridge. Your starter will increase in volume quite a bit so make sure it’s in a bowl or jar large enough to triple in size.

2. If planning on using imminently - keep out on the counter and feed once a day (same 1:1:1) ratio.

If your starter smells slightly boozy don’t worry - that’s just the byproduct of the yeast growing. It’ll get all bubbly.

Before you bake you’ll have lots more starter than you need. That’s why @TristanL and I have been making stuff like pizza dough and foccacia to use up the excess.

2 Likes

Steve are you going to make bread? Here’s the recipe I like. I spread it over 3 days. Also if your starter has not yet been named I dub it “John Dough”.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-sourdough-bread-224367

2 Likes

Thank you for the starter, after a few days in the fridge, I brought it out to warmth and started the feeding cycle to get it nice and active. I’m planning my first loaf pretty soon and I’ll report back with results. I don’t expect much success, but if I end up with something I want to eat, then I’ll be happy.

Looking forward to trying to refining this skill, and I’ve been reading a lot of links and watching videos on the process.

2 Likes

lol. i love the standard of “Can i eat it?”

I think i am right there with ya

1 Like

I guarantee if you follow that recipe I posted (the one from kitchn) your bread will be awesome. I am no wizard of bread and mine turned out great.

i should add - I made sourdough in the past (which was okay) but this is definitely the best starter I’ve used.

I’d like to try this recipe sometime soon.

George has a new home and two little brothers to take to work with me on monday

1 Like

Nice one George.

it passes the "can i eat it?‘’ test but definitley needs improvement.

2 Likes

Very nice!

Made some bread this aft. Here it is with cat melon for scale. I’ve just switched to unbleached flour and like the slight difference in taste. Must buy bulk flour at Costco at some point.

2 Likes

I think I did too much whole wheat flour and not enough rise, but good anyway.

4 Likes

That looks so good! Impressive!!! I bet it’s great with lentil soup.

Edit: I’m in tomorrow afternoon and bringing someone some starter. Anyone else want in?

1 Like

Speaking of flour. Anyone know where I can find this in Van?

1 Like

Right - John Dough (the starter) is now living with @lukecyca and @Majicj.

attempt number 3. (attempt 2 will not be spoken of). from mixing to baking all in one day.

3 Likes

ooo that looks awesome!!!

3 Likes

yay! that looks awesome! Nice crust!