The Doughocracy - Sourdough Starter Requests, Results, & Bread Talk

Can’t make Monday night but will leave starter for you in the fridge tomorrow!

I dropped off sourdough starter for @winegummo @SteveRoy and @mike. In the fridge. You will recognize it by the cat labels. Also – I think I may have a jam problem.

Jim I’m sorry your cat looks less happy than the other two so I gave you more starter.

Edit: I fed the starter yesterday so it’ll be good to hang in there for a week I’m sure.

2 Likes

THANKS!

how long can they live in the fridge?

1 Like

Oh it can go quite a while. I feed mine about once a week, let it do it’s thing for a few hours, then stick it in the fridge. A week later I feed it and then I use it - works great. I’m sure you could go a month if kept in fridge and it would be starving but still alive.

When I feed it I do 100% hydration - so that’s equal parts starter, water, and flour by weight.

1 Like

lol. ok i was just thinking a few days before i can roll by the space…

1 Like

heh. no worries. It won’t be sentient by then…maybe!!

well i just know if i leave my cat alone for a few days i may come home to some poo in a shoe…don’t want george the soursough to poo in anyones shoes.

1 Like

I had a totally mad idea in my head to haul a stove to VHS and cook bread during open night – to lure people in with tasty bread smells. Maybe I’ll wait til we have more 220 outlets.

Tabletop convection oven?

interesting…could it do 500 degrees?

Yes, several of them do. But apparently, because of convection, you can lower the temp by 25 degrees. The big issue would be the usable cavity size. And the bigger, the heavier; in other words, not really meant to be “portable”.

1 Like

Could you make bannock in the forge?

1 Like

At home we exclusively bake break in one of those little convection ovens (specifically the Cuisinart steam oven). It heats up much quicker, and the break comes out pretty great (steam certainly helps). I bake inside a cast iron pot, it barely makes it inside without the lid, I bake uncovered for around half the time, and when the top starts to crip I add a sheet of aluminum foil.

Anyone coming tonight that can bring some starter? Will be there to help with kitting and the SMD workshop. Have a coworker that is very interested!

oops sorry Chad - should have brought you some also.

I’m bringing in sourdough starter for Chad tomorrow. @jdmc would you also like some (I figure Chad can fetch it for ya).

Anyone else? All the cool kids are doing it.

one of us. one of us. one of us…

1 Like

@chadleaman sourdough starter is in the fridge for you at the space! Should be good for a while. I also drew a cat on it - but alas, forgot to take a photo.

1 Like

Thanks for the offer - I’ll jump on the dough train when I have a bit more of a chance in a few weeks.

2 Likes

Sounds good @jdmc