Does anybody have storage space we can use?

Hi,

We are not able to comfortably afford moving into storage. We probably will need to, however.

Here are all of the pieces of relevant information:

So the truck will costs us $400 + taxes to move into storage, and $400 to move out. We will need three of these storage lockers at $500 + taxes each.

Assuming 20% for margin of error, this move alone will cost us $2880.

Straight up:
After our Cook St damage deposit goes through, we will not have this much money in our accounts.

Does anybody have a warehouse or other form of storage that we are able to borrow for a couple weeks? Trucks we can use?

Now might be a time to start fundraising, too.

1 Like

Whoever is the liaison with the current landlord/property management company needs to go to them as tell them we can’t move out until mid January. We tried, but they put us on an impossible deadline.

5 Likes

Good call.

Also… not sure if it was already mentioned, but is it possible to keep everything in Large U-Hauls for a week or two? Park them somewhere safe and good to go?

Assuming the above math is sound, we would need 5-7 trucks, and risky theft-wise.

It seems to me the main problem is lag between getting the deposit back from the bunker, and having to put down a the deposit& first month at Cook St.? I’m willing to offer VHS a short term loan to help bridge this gap.

Thoughts?
C

1 Like

I’m also willing to help offer a short term (interest free) loan to bridge the gap between now and when we build our 3-month surplus back.

2 Likes

A friend threw me this suggestion, which is interesting but I don’t have time to investigate:

“Hey, have you contacted the city to ask about storage space for vhs? They have a ton of warehouse space around, generally allocated for art and cultural use. Call 311 to talk to a city employee, ASAP as folks are going on holiday.”

1 Like

Very interesting suggestion. I just reached out to a friend of VHS who may possibly maybe hopefully be able to hook us up but it is a stretch. Can someone follow up on this one? It can’t hurt to try it.

@davidcarne and @ccudahy - the offers are greatly appreciated. Hopefully it won’t come to that but certainly an option. Thanks.

1 Like

Are you able to get more information on this for me?

Specifically some key phrases to jog someone’s memory?

The city employee I talked to was very friendly but didn’t quite know where to start looking for more info.

Paying another two week’s rent at the current space would cost only a bit more than the cost of the trucks, assuming we get a warehouse for free, and way less trouble, and way less than the cost of storage. What has the property manager got to lose? Is someone actually moving in January 1?

Idea monthly rental of secured covered parking spaces to store pallets

It does not freeze in vancouver.

We can store chemicals separately. Thoughts should I look into this.
How many pallets do we have now?

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/search/van/prk

1 Like

About 700 sf worth of stuff

That is 2 40’ containers,
or 4 parking stalls.

Anybody have a friend who is a transport truck driver.

If so we could rent two truck trailers. Parked at the space, loaded and
moved to a parking lot.

Hi, guys.

Science World has generously offered to let us make use of their offsite storage facility on Powell St near Commercial Drive at no cost to us. There is plenty of room for everything and there is a raised loading bay.

I’ll be sorting out the details, but so far one the conditions are that I have to be present the entire time at the facility during the load in/out days, however I’ll only be available to do so on either Monday 22nd, Tuesday 23rd, or Tuesday 30th (but only one of those days); January is a bit more flexible.

Let me know if we want to pursue this route; we will need to plan a truck rental.

5 Likes

I will book a truck tomorrow on any one of those days.

Comments:

• I don’t think it is possibly to move in one night?
  • Tuesday has open house people available probably

So we might be able to get around the time issues by having, like 8 people at each end loading the truck the second it hits loading bays

If we can move on the 22 and 23, then we can take the wall down after
without worrying too much about dust.

At this time, I’m avl. during the day, Mon 22 to Wed 24.

Avail 6am - 10pm, @JohnC you are awesome.

Also probably avail on the 30th but more wall demolition time woukd be better.

If we were going to rent a truck for 2 days, can we just rent 2 for 1 day instead, for around the same price? That way we could have one unloading while the other is being loaded - should speed things up quite a bit I expect.

Pipelining FTW! :smiley: