Quotes on storage for VHS

Continuing the discussion from Packing up the bunker (Move out and clean up committee):

Just to be perfectly clear, I am just posting research.
I have no reason to believe that we will move into storage.

Sounds like PODS is by far the best deal… how much is the second delivery?

Hello

I have to call them directly to find out. A lot of places only take phone calls and do not list their prices on-line. Because of this I expect that we will find better prices by calling around to different storage units.

Unless someone else gets to it before me, I will be calling on Monday.

I just called them and got the following with a month of storage included. This is per container.

1 Like

Does it get cheaper if you have multiple pods, or does it scale linearly?

Not sure - I just asked about two.

I think we will need two containers for all the stuff we have at VHS.
So $500 a month for storage, and $520 each way for delivery and pick up for both. That got expensive fast.

If we can take our stuff to and from the containers, rather than have the containers delivered

That will save us 260 minus truck rental for each container, RIGHT?

Also 1 standard 40’ container is probably less than 2 16’ containers.

A standard 20’ container may be less than 16’ container.

There is many container rentals around the city.

Correct but then that’s the same as a normal storage container… We wouldn’t need PODs. PODs is just very convent. I am debating if convenience and availability of our members is worth $520.

New Craigslist Ad for free pallets (368 Terminal Avenue):

FREE PALLETS! (368 TERMINAL)

I have three LARGE stacks of shipping pallets. Please take them…they’re FREE!For shipping, for projects, for firewood, whatever. If you want them, come and get them. They are at Long & McQuade, 368 Terminal ave. They are located at the south east end of the parking lot near the blue bins. First come, first serve.Thanks.

This post will be deleted once they are gone.’

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/zip/4780005339.html

start, end date for container rental?

Assume 2 x 20’ or 1 x 40’ which ever is cheapest?Assume will transport pallets to storage location?Inquire about storage location forklift rental for fast unloading / loading?

On line quotes take a long time. If we need this soon, must call locations.

Please feel free to call around @tdwebste or anyone else.

I do not have any available time to work on this until Monday. I would be happy if this got resolved sooner then that.

Insta-Space Storage, $340 per month for a 40’ container with foam insulation to prevent condensation220 container rental, 120 site storage

If it takes more than one day to move in or one day to move out, there will be a $35 lift charge to move the container each time the container needs to be moved.

Does not include forklift changes for unloading pallets from truck into container. Will included in full quote.

1 Like

For anyone else looking for pallets, they are very easy to find. Go to any industrial area that deals with a lot of shipping, most people keep them stacked by a dumpster. Behind united way in coquitlam there are lots there. Winston Slip in burnaby also has a lot of businesses that leave them out, I assume Marine Drive is the same.

They guys that do the most heavy shipping tend to have the best quality ones. I might be able to grab another batch tonight but no guarantees.

I would say that convenience is worth it, but we do have to watch the budget, I agree.

Also how does this compare to renting a truck to haul stuff to the storage facility? (i’ll read the rest of the thread to see if that gets mentioned.)

I think PODS is a great company. I used them to move my stuff to Vancouver.

Since most of our stuff is on pallets, loading up the container will be simple. PODS drops it in the loading bay, we load up as many pallets (and non-palleted stuff, if applicable) as we can, they take it away and bring another container.

How many pallets do we have? How much non-pallet stuff do we have?

Loading is easy, unloading is not if the new space has a truck level loading bay. If that is the case you’ll need something to lift all the pallets up to the dock level. Moving truck in this case would have a lift gate to take care of this.

We have 12 pallets currently full, I expect 3 more pallets to be filled before the end. We have CNC, Mill, Lathe, Laser, Lockers, Servers, Tool chests, and a bunch of lumber to take with us. So a 16 foot container will not fit all of our stuff

If you require cheap longer term storage, getting stuff moved to Port Coquitlam storage places is cheaper, someone told me. Vancouver area places always command a premium - world class city!

Recommendations of storage places to rent in Port Coquitlam, Either container or locker?

Also How will these pallets be loaded into a truck?

A truck lift ramp? I am assuming we will have access to a hand pallet truck for the moving process.