Moving: State of the Union as of Dec 17, 2014

Hi all,

I took the liberty tonight of doing a survey of the VHS space.

There are 27 pallets loaded with materials; I’ve written up a Google spreadsheet with dimensions and a summary of the square footage:

If my rough calculations are correct, there’s around 750 square feet of things to move. Feel free to verify my figures. Can we verify our original calculations around the size of moving truck we’ll need and how many trips we’ll need to make?

We have lost our pallet jack, which makes wall demolition challenging as the pallets can’t be moved.

We do have an engine host, which is great! However, we don’t have any pallets sized to handle the heavy equipment like the lathe or CNC milling machine.

Cheers,

• Andrew
3 Likes

Excellent work, Andrew. It looks like I’m going to be shopping around for storage, so this is THE cheatsheet I need.

I will be following up on this:

And then for the move process itself:

The truck interior is 24’ x 8’ 1"

1 Like

Your copy was read-only.

Here’s an editable copy with a few removals:

Notably, we have no plans on moving or storage for the powder printer, server blades, fume hood, and BBQ. For the latter two, arrangements have been made to store them until we move to a location that is able to use them.

I would assume there are arrangements made for the vending machine @iMakeRobots

That saves us about 40 sf so far.

I don’t see any other SUPER obvious candidates for purging, but I’m not familiar with some of the items. I am proceeding with the assumption that it will cost ~$4 to move/store every square foot, and then ~$2 per month to store every sf at Cook St.

I have to say this is really on my mind. Unfortunately a lot of my availability before 1st Jan evaporated last night.

I really think our best option is to try to extend at 270 E 1st until the 5th and move over the 3rd/4th weekend. Even if it costs the same amount the physical work to move all that stuff twice will be a killer. We have the cost of the truck for two days and the storage to offer them for a few days extra, surely this has a chance?

1 Like

Available any day 17:30 - 22:00
Available holidays full day except 28th after 18:00

email me direct to coordinate tdwebste@gmail.com

Who called the city?
please summarize

I forget who called the city [@jarret I think?] but the long and short of
it was that the person they spoke to had no clue what we were talking about
or how to help us and without some sort of person to ask for or program to
ask about that went nowhere.

Yep.

It wasn’t a “no”, it was a “do you have any more info?”

What is the situation with the pallet jack? I may be able to borrow one for the rest of the month.

we can’t have too many pallet jacks. If you can, bring it in. Best
case, we’ll have one or two at the space and another one or two to offload
rather than loading then back and forth…

We are severely hamstrung by having no pallet jacks. It will make a world
of difference if you bring one in!

I’ve still got to get permission but I know it will not be needed on the farm until the new year, if the answer is yes I’ll have it in my truck in the city Saturday night and on Sunday. A keyholder will need to be available so I can drop it off.

Kyle, call me if someone is not already at the space 778 707 4922

I am available all saturday morning and most of the afternoon.
What is the game plan?
Are we moving to the new space?
Who is helping?
What time will you be there?

@iMakeRobots check out the storage thread, JohnC has got us free storage with Science World. He has listed the 22nd 23rd and 30th for possible move out dates.

@jarrett during the initial steps of the move I contacted the city and
asked them about city space we might be able to lease.

They didn’t have any affordable but were sympathetic and wanted to help. I
do have the city contacts… There are a few departments… One in culture
and one in real estate.

I’ll reach out but being the holidays might not hear back.