Moving out process

Continuing the discussion from Packing up the bunker (Move out and clean up committee):

This page is a wiki and @funvill will update it with the content from the replies.

I am starting to think about the moving out process.

There are currently 12 packed up pallets at the space. This number will grow as we continue to pack up the shop and the big equipment (CNC, Lathe, Laser, Mill, etc…)

The truck will take ~6 pallets at a time. Each trip will take about 45mins to pack up the truck. 10mins to drive, and 45 mins to unpack the truck (100 mins). I estimate having to do at least 5-7 trips (probably close to 7) + 20% for problems and issues that occur along the way.

MATHS
( 7 * 100 / 60 ) * 1.2 == 14 hours

We are going to need the truck for at least two days. Two very long days.
A 5ton truck costs $199 a day from Budget moving truck rental

I’m in.

New members, this is a great way to introduce yourself, say hi, and start building community good will!

I’m wondering about the process of getting the pallets into (and out of) the truck. I guess we get a truck with a hydraulic tail gate? Need to check the weight of the heavy stuff somehow to make sure it will be ok (Richard had issues moving the cnc last time I think).

Yeah, I believe we’re planning for a 5-ton truck - which I think is both the largest we can rent, and the smallest that fits our equipment conveniently enough! The most overlooked issue is usually the height of the doors at the back of the truck, as things like the two mills are tall and far too heavy to safely tilt. Securing such heavy items to the flimsy aluminium box of the trucks is also hard.

Thankfully we only have to drive 5 blocks, and it’s flat other than the initial exit onto 2nd.

You’re only getting 4 pallets on a 5T truck?! You should fit 10+!

1 Like

So, any thoughts on the engine hoist and heavy duty pallets to move the shop equipment? Rent or buy?

2-Ton Folding Cherry Picker Engine Hoist - $220 (north delta)http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/4767779397.html

@rsim Did you find anything that could help us lift the Mill and Lathe

I’ll be able to help drive all day Sunday ( busy Saturday with birthday
stuff ) – including helping to load and unload the pallets from the truck.

Moving truck

$199 a day and we will need it for two days
Has a lift gate that will support the heaviest equipment

The two ton truck is $150 a day but is only 16 foot long and would increase the amount of trips that we would have to do.

We have found an engine hoist from @ccudahy, its already at the space, Thank you @Rob_MacKenzie for picking that up for us.

We have one pallet jack available to us from @Jarrett work. It would be nice to have another but its not required.

We don’t know the moving out dates is yet, I will announce it when I know. You will be the first to know.

I will be moving the stuff out of the old space into the new space. I will not be organizing or laying out the new space. I will be just placing the pallets inside the front door.

Someone else should take control of the layout of the new space and start to get that sorted out. Maybe a summer reply of this thread telling people where we are at, etc…

https://talk.vanhack.ca/t/vhs-space-layout-discussion-cook-street-location/660