World Create Day 2018 / Super Happy Hacker House 40 (March 17th)

Dear everyone! After far too long, Super Happy Hacker House is back.

What

Open House (Noon – 5pm)
Never been to a hack space before? Dying to see the VHS space? This is the perfect time to visit! VHS members will give you a tour around the space, show off some cool projects, and answer any questions you have. Many of our members share an interest in 3D printers, laser cutting, machining, crafting, electronics, robotics, programming, electronic music, and art. We’re also combining this event with World Create Day.

Show and Tell (6pm +)
Have you made something amazing? Are you in the process of building something that will become amazing? Are you just starting out and want to talk to people about your amazing idea? Come down to VHS and tell us about it. Bring your projects!

Super Happy Hacker House (8pm – Late)
Super Happy Hacker House (SHHH) is a social night where members, friends and guests gather for a social night of conversation, adult beverages, lightning talks, and super happy hacker games.

Lightning talks – (11PM).
A lightning talk is VHS’ version of an un-conference, where people do short presentation on any subject that they want. Unlike other presentations at conferences, lightning talks last only a few minutes (2 min or less) and friendly heckling is encouraged.

Read a great Georgia Straight article about one of our previous open houses/SHHH!

Where
1715 Cook Street, Buzzer #104
Vancouver, BC
Limited street parking is available just outside the space. Bikes can be parked in our loading bay for the night or locked up on the bike racks outside the front door.
This map shows all the parking and amenities around the new space.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/view?mid=17_GZyKM0usRTE3BCA8lXbZWsIac

When
March 17th from Noon till late (2-3 am)

Who
Everyone! Hackers, Makers, Crafters, Kids, Guests, Members, Friends of VHS, Anyone and Everyone.
If you are under the age of majority (19) then you should bring your parent or guardian with you as well. For those of legal drinking age (19), VHS will have donated beer for the adult-only event that will be available after 8pm.

Why
Because it is awesome!

3 Likes

for the open house, i would like to have the pi station set up with a pi that you can program. maybe the one that’s controlling the LED wall, for kids to play at.
beyond that, i have a microbit we can set up as well, for kids to try an program.

4 Likes

Hey Xquared-Maybe Makers Making Change can bring a giant accessible game controller-is there anything we could hook it up to so kids can play video games?
What do you think? Would like to be invovled. Maybe we can bring a makey makey and some examples of ways it can be used to control switches? I am going to track down the owner of the game controller form a previous event

5 Likes

Love to have you guys!

1 Like

That sounds awesome @Zee_Kesler!!

It was @xquared that worked on the controller for Timothy, with Rashmi and a couple others. I can bring the wii and all the Marios! Though think that controller might be hard to get back, but maybe we can make another one that day?

1 Like

Just wanted to give everyone quick update. A lot of my team will be there, I will be coming a bit later as I have a family commitment mid afternoon.

Will have two or three capstone groups also coming, working on their projects. One is a prototype ExoArm, another is a Joystick nearing completion (believe they will be there), we will be making another wiimote as well (I will bring the Wii), and the third is a new version of the LipSync. Also have some busted LipSyncs that people can help us fix.

There are also 4-5 people that have signed up on my end (Hackaday: World Create Day 2018 Tickets, Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 12:00 PM | Eventbrite) that are new to me. We can get them going on LipSync repairs, but would be good if there is a VHS regular that can do a bit of the tour.

Also potentially a person with a disability that I haven’t met before, so there may be a project on the fly.

2 Likes

I’ll be there most of the day. Probably show up at noon-ish.

@chadleaman What tools and equipment does your team need access to?

Is there any preparation that can be done to get things ready?

Hey Andrew. Soldering will likely occur. Likely lasercut a piece of wood for our accessible videogame controller. Not sure what the exo-team needs or will be bringing. There is a wii in my tote and a makeymakey that can be put to use, but we can set that up tomorrow.

@chadleaman I scavenged for you some coloured acrylic in MMC red :wink:
it’s on top of my totes

3 Likes

Anyone find a set of keys (with a bottle opener “picaroons”)? This guy just spent some husband capital calling his house so he could get through the front door. At least I built some capital by coming to VHS with the kids, Emma left this for me.

If you stumble upon a set of keys, toss them in the Chad / Makers Making Change bin and I will gladly do the next growler run.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.