SHHH40 challenge coins call-out

For WCD2018/SHHH40, as traditional, we need challenge coins!

Who will make them? It might be you! We’ll need about 25 challenge coins.

Challenge coins are made of any material of the choosing of the minter. We’ve had them 3D printed, laser cut, machined, etc, etc.

The reward? Bragging rights and a nice Coin Minter badge on Talk!

Who gives?

Traditionally, it’s the first come, first serve, but we’ll confirm that one week before the event.

2 Likes

What’s a challenge coin?

1 Like

From the Wikipedia article:

A challenge coin is a small coin or medallion (usually military), bearing an organization’s insignia or emblem and carried by the organization’s members.

Example:

1 Like

so no budget allocated, am i right?
didn’t we give it out to lightning talk givers?

Correct, and correct :smiley:

so what have we had in the past for challenge coin
has PCB been done already?

Doesn’t matter if it’s been done!

NO ONE CAN TOP MY 3D PRINTED COMIC SANS COINS! :stuck_out_tongue:

And yeah, it can be done with any material that the coin minter wants to use, but there’s no budget.

1 Like

well i am by no means expert, but i’ve been wanting to try stamping some leather
this might be the thing that gets me going
that or try and will some PCB

3 Likes

Pride is the reward! Thanks for showing off my coins!

4 Likes

Here’s a past post, showing a bunch of different challenge coins over the years:

1 Like

@miststlkr did an awesome leather challenge coin:

Not to say another couldn’t be done! More leather more better.

AFAIK, no one has ever done a PCB one, because of the manufacturing/shipping times involved. If you can work around that, it’d be amazing! And if not, calling dibs on a future SHHH and ordering way in advance would be great.

1 Like

I took apart one of those leather coins, as I was convinced @miststlkr would have put something secret inside.
nope. Then I had to stitch it all back together.

4 Likes

Not going to lie, that was the original intent but my original plan fell apart. I had designed the wooden disks to open and have a cutout compartment in side but every iteration I tried ended up with the wood or plastic being too brittle and they weren’t working so I went solid in desperation and sewed them up the night before. Lol my initial plan was a cutout/compartment that would hold one of those ugly grey door access key fobs.

FWIW, mine were laser etched and saddle stitched around laser cut 6mm birch disk with stitching holes layered in.

I still have an idea, but not sure if I’ll have time. I’ll try to get my materials together.

@xquared @Rob_MacKenzie who of you wants/is going to do this?

first one to respond gets to make it this time!

i don’t have concrete ideas, so if @Rob_MacKenzie has already got ideas, he can do it.

@xquared make them out of concrete then
:slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ll be the backup-backup - have an idea that I could knock together quick if other ideas fall through.

2 Likes

No need for backups. I’ve got materials and if everything works should have em by tomorrow!!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.