Workshop – LED Pixels and E1.31 Control - $35.00

Workshop – LED Pixels and E1.31 Control $35.00 Wednesday March 25 7-9 PM

Want to setup a large animated pixel xmas display like this or perhaps you just want to control a bunch of pixels on your light sculpture:

Then this workshop is for you!!

This will be an introduction to using the ubiquitous RGB LED pixels. We will cover the basics of pixel operations, types of pixels, types of displays using pixels, powering pixels, protocols to control pixels (DMX, sACN, E1.31), controllers to drive pixels, software to control pixel effects (Jinx) and software to animate them to music (xLights). I will have examples of some Xmas lighting props using pixels and touch on building displays and testing pixels.

Workshop participants will also receive a complete kit to build a Wi-Fi based E1.31 pixel controller (based on the ESPixelStick project) and a length of WS2812 pixel strip. This will allow you to start controlling your own pixel display right away (well, after you build the kit…). I have a complete build guide for the kit and will host some free follow-up nights for anyone that needs help to get your pixels on….

This workshop is for members only (so join now!!!)…

If you want to book a spot please send me a PM and I will arrange payment with you….

11 Likes

Okay this looks amazing and I know the build guide is excellent!!! Thanks Bob!

Had a pile of pixel modules (these are 12V 3 LED per node type) and an old light fixture…
What to do…

Glued the pixel modules into the fixture and hooked it up to a ESPixelPOP controller running a test sequence (sorry the video is upside down)…

This is the same type of controller that you get as a kit in the workshop…
It has multiple test sequences that you can run…
You can even leave it in test mode if you like the way it looks…
May mount this on the ceiling at the Space…

2 Likes

I want in on this workshop please.

1 Like

Put me down for this
I’m super excited

1 Like

Hi Tim,
Send me $35 via Interact eTransfer to: bobjohnson@shaw.ca and a spot is yours
If you are not setup for this I can accept PayPal (to the same email address) or cash…
Thanks,
Bob

Im down! Will PM and interact transfer you!

FYI… This is what the finished E1.31 to Pixel controller that is supplied in this workshop looks like:

You will need a 5V 2A power supply to run the pixel strip that comes with it…

1 Like

Me please! Sounds great!

1 Like

My video isn’t shot very well but it shows the various displays we will be looking at in the workshop…

1 Like

And if you wanted to see what animating to music looks like:

This is a very rough sequence using xLights with auto beat detection and a random assignment of effects across 5 different independent pixel models (C9 String, Big Lights, Matrix Panel, DMX Flood & Wreath) each controlled by a seperate E1.31 controller…

The above will make much more sense to you after the workshop…

2 Likes

This workshop is for members only? No “premium price” option for non-members??

Ian hook me up with some Tunnock’s Tea Cakes and I’m sure I can get you in. :wink:

Anyone that is interested but NOT arranged payment please do as I will limit the workshop to 12 and we are already halfway there…

1 Like

Hey Janet… let me see what I can do :smiley:

1 Like

Me please! I’ll send you an interac transfer soon.

1 Like

Oops sorry I just re-read Bob’s description and I see it’s members only. Rock on Bob.

FYI…
7 of the 12 spots are full…
4 more have been tentatively filled but no payment sent…
So send in your payment if you want your spot…

FYI…
I will certainly run this workshop again if there is enough interest…

2 Likes

Just bumping this. Bob has taught me loads about electronics over the years and I highly recommend signing up for this workshop.

9 of the 12 workshop spots are now full (as in paid for the spot)…
3 spots left…

1 Like