Walnut Wood Scraps?

Hey All!

Did you happen to make something out of the walnut wood scraps that were donated by West Coast Woodslabs (the ones on the back shelf or in the hardwood scraps box)?

If you did, please post your project here! We want to do a nice shout-out to them on our blog. If you have done my woodturning class ( Wood Turning Class - Sign up list ) then your project was made from these scraps! Please respond here with a photo of your project.

Thanks!
-Mike

2 Likes

Here’s the mallet that @xquared and I made using Mike’s spindle turning techniques. Class was great and my first intro to wood turning. I’d also never worked with walnut before. Thanks Mike and West Coast Slabs!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeGyjjlFdQ8/

4 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcTTyfsBEkN

4 Likes

Small bowl turned on the lathe

Spindle turned on lathe. All three pieces are from the same scrap piece of walnut.

A mini “sculpture” with this spindle.

5 Likes

Thursday’s woodturning class with Mike and Steve was awesome. It was much more thorough than I expected and we did get into many details about the techniques, the gear, and also completely unrelated topics such as the speed of electrons in circuit boards.
We made simple boxes from the walnut scraps, here’s my blurry result!

6 Likes

Adding these from the woodturning post:

@Rebel_without_Clause

@3bien

2 Likes

The pieces not added from the woodscrap challenge: Walnut Woodscrap Challenge! - Due December 10th - #19 by mike

My cuff links

@Lukeo’s phone stand:

@Logan_Buchy’s ornament

@SHuberts pen in the stone

@hughl87 scrap-inspired lamp

2 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes

Thanks for the class!

2 Likes

Are there still scraps kicking around. I need a very small piece(s) for what I have in mind.

1 Like

I grabbed some of the scraps and am using them to replace the handles on 2 kitchen knives that have broken plastic handles and were held together with electricians tape. My mum really like the knives even though they are fairly cheap ones. Not finished yet, but close

The start, remove broken handles and use for a template:

Rough shape cut out on my scroll saw, holes drilled. Using 3/16" brass pins and epoxy

As far as I can go with a belt sander:

I’ll finish with hand sanding;

4 Likes

Finished

Tung Oil

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.