Walnut Woodscrap Challenge! - Due December 10th

I put together a fairly quick inlaid pendant on Saturday using Inkscape / Fusion 360 and some scrap inlay material.

10 Likes

An update to my prior cuff links. Turns out I made them too big, so I remounted them on the lathe and turned them down a bit. Here is them on my shirt.

On to the next scraps!

12 Likes

To test the cnc i made a quick phone holder. Also laser etched a floral patten to try something different. 20171125_201141|666x500

Uploading… Uploading…

13 Likes

Very nice so far!

2 Weeks remaining; if you haven’t started, head on down and check out the scraps!

1 Like

Are there any scraps left? I haven’t been able to make it down yet but plan on it the next day or so! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Plenty! Head on down!

2 Likes

Something festive

12 Likes

Awesome projects so far!!! Remember all, about 1 week remaining! There are large and small pieces for all sorts of quick projects!

Hey! I just finished my contribution to the challenge…

A “Sword in The Stone” themed, pen and holder :slight_smile:

The wood grain on the walnut holder was beautiful but for some reason I still wanted to add a touch of gold leaf to the corner of it and then added a touch to the pen to match as well. I also really enjoy shapes and angles so I made the holder very “chunky-blocky”
and then the pen was made to look like tiny stacks of rings coming out of it.

The pen is mostly walnut with the front grip area being ebony so it’s a nice dark black that blends into the metal tip. Anywho, thanks for the challenge and the bits of wood to have some fun with!

19 Likes

It would be awesome to put a magnetic unlatching system in there, so that only a person with a magnetic ring can retrieve the pen from the holder :).

8 Likes

Oh my goodness that would be amazing. Who wants to help me with that?!! :smile:

haha, sure! here’s a first pass. I’m thinking the disc is a magnet. Not sure if this is the best design, but just a doodle.

4 Likes

I made a lamp for my bedside table. Now I just need to make my bedside table!

14 Likes

Wow, that’s super polished.

Wow @hughl87 that is totally amazing. Nice job.

Today is the last day! Get your entries in by midnight to be eligible for the prize!!!

Even if you don’t get in by midnight, please feel free to continue using the walnut wood scraps. It is a great exercise in reuse and the odd shapes hopefully inspire you.

I want to thank everyone who has already participated, and if you have a project you are still working on, please do post a picture of your in-progress.

I started this to help inspire creativity and use something that was likely going to end up as waste. Thank you for your hard work!

2 Likes

Awesome!

Those look amazing!

@hughl87 That’s really awesome. Could you show a picture of the cut out for the bulb without the light on?

@MCTaylor17
I had grand ideas of a diffuser panel and also could have done a neater job on strips etc, but at that stage I just wanted to get it done.

1 Like