VHS Equipment Review - Part Six (Miscellaneous/electronic supplies)

Hi all,

This time we’re looking at the miscellaneous supplies sitting above the current e-waste/3-week bin:

Miscellaneous obsolete keyboards and mice

Inside box of obsolete keyboards

Box labelled “VHS GREENSCREEN”

Non-functional hot air rework station?

USB Extension Cables

Analog Audio and Video Cables

A/C Electrical Stuff

Inside tote of A/C Electrical Stuff

Mystery Sheet Metal Punch from @JohnC

Inside USB Extension Cable box

Other side of Mystery Sheet Metal Punch labeled “Do we still need this?”

Plastic Basket of rags and “Seed Bomb” making materials

Large tote of Coax cable

Not shown:

• “Party Balloon” Helium Bottle
  • Various Expired Fire Extinguishers throughout VHS

Please have a look and see if these things are needed

Equipment Action
Miscellaneous obsolete keyboards and mice ???
Box labelled "VHS GREENSCREEN" ???
Non-functional hot air rework station? ???
USB Extension Cables ???
Analog Audio and Video Cables ???
A/C Electrical Stuff ???
Mystery Sheet Metal Punch from @JohnC ???
Plastic Basket of rags and "Seed Bomb" making materials ???
Large tote of Coax cable ???
Used Party Balloon Helium Bottle ???
Expired Fire Extinguishers ???

The Keyboards are bog-standard USB keyboards which I got donated from FreeGeek for raspberry pi workshops. Keep. If there are older PS2 keyboards, those can be tossed.

USB Extension Cables - these were already in an Equipment Review thread. The consensus was to KEEP but I would actually suggest keeping half of them, and consolidating the bin with other USB-related cables.

Analog Audio/Video cables - These could be thinned by 50%, but please keep. The only way I was able to demo the amp yesterday was because we had these. I’ve used them for several projects in the last year, including fixing the VHS stereo system.

A/C electrical stuff - Keep. I’ve used this countless times for VHS improvement projects/fixes. The fan intake/exhaust switch by the laser. Replacing a cord on a power tool for @mike. Not to mention my own projects.

Coax tote - I think we could let this go. Coax just isn’t very useful these days.

Seed bombs - I vote toss

3 Likes

Do we have too many extension cables to combine the bins? They have been strangely useful in the past (need a female USB connector, chop one of those apart. I’d like to keep as many as we have space for them after we combine the usb cables.

Yes, AC electrical stuff, please keep; we also have motors and building tools is something that I think is super cool at VHS and brings a wow factor. Even though it is now disassembled because we have functional replacement and needed the space, the thickness sander did get a lot of interesting looks on tours.

Coax can go.

Seed bomb stuff, no interest without people doing them; if someone wants to keep them around, I’d say a vote would be to host a class and put it on the calendar.

1 Like

Miscellaneous obsolete keyboards and mice: Keep (as Luke said for workshops, etc.)

Box labelled “VHS GREENSCREEN” (what is GreenScreen?)

Non-functional hot air rework station (Keep, many times the airflow gets plugged, when cleared it functions)

USB Extension Cables (Keep, these are the sorted versions, sorted by Dan)

Analog Audio and Video Cables (Keep, as these were sorted previously)

A/C Electrical Stuff (Keep, useful to run power outlets, etc.)

Mystery Sheet Metal Punch from @JohnC (Definitely Keep, will be needed for metal fabrication)

Plastic Basket of rags and “Seed Bomb” making materials (It sounds fun?)

Large tote of Coax cable (Recycle)

Used Party Balloon Helium Bottle (Keep, make oneself sound funny)

Expired Fire Extinguishers (Can they be refilled and used for Laser Cutter, etc.?)

Thanks!

Unless you personally are willing to fix it, I vote recycle.

Unless you personally need it, I vote toss. Considering no one has used it since that label was put on (probably years ago), I think it’s okay to go. If we ever need to get one in the future, we can pick up a cleaner one for cheap.

Unless you personally plan on running a workshop (you should! Sounds awesome), I vote toss. They’ve been around since 2013 untouched.

Unless you personally have a good use for it at VHS, I vote toss. Or you can take it home.

See the pattern here? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I plan to use it in near future.

Non-functional hot air rework station (I can attempt a repair)

Used Party Balloon Helium Bottle (plans to use it).

As for the rest the users of that equipment should decide.

Thanks!

A green screen is a solid colored screen that closely matches the color in the green response for digital cameras so that backgrounds can be replaced (or keyed).

If you want to do background replacements, this is what you’d put behind your subject.

Thank you @mike, then let’s keep it for Computer Vision applications (else I can take it with me).

I believe the greenscreen was donated by @sIGNgUY.

Cleanup done.

I phoned @sIGNgUY; the green screen was not his.
I skimmed through the Analog Audio and Video Cables and removed those with cracked insulation or obvious other defects.
The USB extension cables were consolidated into a much smaller container.
The hot air rework station, the green screen, and PS2 mice and keyboards were taken to free geek.
The coax, used helium bottle, the metal punch, crappy audio cables, and two of the outdated fire extinguishers were taken to Zero Waste.
Seed bomb materials were recycled.
A/C Electrical was left as is.

Thanks to everyone who commented.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.