VHS Equipment Review - Part Five (Boiler room area)

Hi all,

This might be a little more freeform, as it’s all the stuff in that space near the boiler room door.

Things of note:

• smoke machine
  • pile of wood scraps (walnut?( (@mike)
  • dust extractor 45 gallon drum and fan brought in by @Daniel_DeGagne
  • red dairy crate of lathe parts (@rsim)
  • some kind of folding display
  • miscellaneous spools and boxes of cable (i.e. telephone station wire)
  • various grinding tools displaced from the wood shop area
  • surplus Nokia benches

If you recognize things in these photos, can you vouch for their usage/suggest that they be recycled?

• The 45 gallon drum dust extractor weights a great deal; we should decide on next steps.
  • Do we anticipate getting a space big enough to utilize the Nokia benches? If not, we should see about what to do with them.
1 Like

Oh, and that thing precariously propped on top on the green barrel looks
like the plastic injection molder work in progress.

@rebel_without_clause, @seanpo, @majicj that thing is really heavy and
could easily fall on someone. Can it be stored more safely please, perhaps
in the space newly cleared for member projects?

1 Like

Is it ok to move the Injection molder tomorrow?
Thanks!

This has been at the center of a dust extraction system that has been in budgeting limbo; mostly because nobody can decide on what budget it would come from.

I would like to vote keep on this, as it will, at minimum, be the bootstrap for any centralized dust collection system. Any replacement system is likely to be the same size or larger; and we need a decent dust extraction system. If the system is replaced after we build it out, the motor alone is worthwile keeping.

The precariously unsafely stored heavy injection molder piece that could easily fall on someone has been moved to Colab where it is currently being precariously and unsafely stored and could easily fall on someone while we fabricate the base. :slight_smile:

Precariousness brings to mind Speakers of Damocles and monitors hanging from cables. They added a certain level of excitement and interest iirc. :wink:

Mark

3 Likes

Also, that sawblade made for some great marking knife blade steel. Please keep it as it will probably work well for other tools, and there was further interest in making marking knives.

I would like to chime in and say we need available materials for making little projects or fixing things, as opposed to buying new materials and dumping it later. Being green and sustainable we want to re-use and repurpose materials as best we can. ( I thought) … hence the nice walnut pile, pieces of angle iron, acrylic, etc.

Thanks
-Bob

4 Likes

I didn’t see the walnut was being considered. That stash has been wildly successful at being turned into projects, and is currently saving me $30 per wood turning class. Please do not dump the walnut.

5 Likes

Yeah I also woud keep any little metal scrap we have there as you never know when you need it. I used cooper wires cuts from there recently.

2 Likes

Okay guys, I’ve broken this down into a spreadsheet. There’s a lot of material back here, can we get some champions for the tools?

Are folks still interested in retaining the Nokia Benches?

Equipment Action
Nokia Benches (5) ???
Misc Lathe Part Crate (@rsim) ???
Shelving Brackets ???
600V Cable Spool ???
Misc Cable/Motor Crate ???
Misc Electrical Cable Box ???
Misc Electrical Cord and Plugs ???
Box of misc cable spools ???
Red metal box with bearings ???
Wooden Shelf (Disassembled) ???
Heavy Wooden Frame ???
Wire racks ???
Bench Grinder ???
4.5” Angle Grinder ???
BOSCH Jigsaw 1587VS ???
Dremel Multimax MM40 ???
Dewalt 18V Cordless Drill ???
Black and Decker 4.0 A Corded Drill ???
Milwaukee Cordless Drill ???
Mastercraft 4.5” Angle Grinder ???
Jobmate 7.25” Circular Saw ???
Powerfist Dremel ???
Light drill press? ???
FOGMachine ORFOG400L ???
ShowMax Tabletop Self-Packaging Display ???
Random Power Supply ???
Random Project in Pieces ???
Misc Lathe Parts, 3 jaw chuck ???
Tub of PVC Cutoffs and Belts ???
Two Presses ???
Crate of Junked Lights ???
Misc Spools and Boxes of Cable ???
Walnut Wood Scraps Keep
45 Gallon Run Dust Removal System Keep
1 Like

Thumbnails of items

Misc Spools and Boxes of Cable

Tub of PVC Cutoffs and Belts

Random Project in Pieces

Two Presses

Random Power Supply

FOGMachine ORFOG400L

ShowMax Tabletop Self-Packaging Display

Misc Lathe Parts, 3 jaw chuck

Light drill press?

Mastercraft 4.5” Angle Grinder

Milwaukee Cordless Drill

Powerfist Dremel

Jobmate 7.25” Circular Saw

Bench Grinder

*Black and Decker 4.0 A Corded Drill *

Dewalt 18V Cordless Drill

Dremel Multimax MM40

BOSCH Jigsaw 1587VS

Wooden Shelf (Disassembled)

4.5” Angle Grinder

Misc Electrical Cord and Plugs

Heavy Wooden Frame

Box of misc cable spools

Wire racks

Misc Cable/Motor Crate

Misc Electrical Cable Box

Red metal box with bearings

600V Cable Spool

Shelving Brackets

Nokia Bench Parts

Misc Lathe Part Crate (@rsim)

More Nokia Bench Parts

45 Gallon Run Dust Removal System

2 Likes

Is that a 2nd jigsaw, or is that the main one that we have?

How many angle grinders do we have? Angle grinders are super useful, I feel we can justify 2 of them; especially in case one breaks.

Can we get a count on all the small dremel-style roatary tools we have and determine attachment compatability? I think it is unreasonable to make a decision on this dremel in isolation without considering the other parts/rotary tools

Do we have a corded drill in the woodworking shelf? If not, keep

I see people using that bench grinder. Also, the one on the member shelves is mine and may leave the space at any moment (currently being used for woodturning classes)

Is that milwaukee compatable with the others we have?

That random project could be Pete’s?

I’d like to see us keep the bench parts. Even if the new space is smaller, a new configuration may mean a different combination of parts wanted/needed and frankly, they don’t take much room. That said, IFF we decide to get rid of them, I’d love one leg please.

I used the jigsaw recently, it was the only one I saw and it worked fine. I’d say keep that

“Misc Electrical Cable Box” - There is some shielded BX cable (metal tubes) in there. IFF we toss the box, I’d like to salvage that and take it home for a personal project.

Angle grinder - DJ Wreck Beach would be heartbroken if he can’t come in to borrow them to cut “his” bike locks!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Keep the lathe parts, bearings and angle grinders!

I vote keep

Nokia Benches (5)
Misc Lathe Parts, 3 jaw chuck
Misc Lathe Part Crate (@rsim
Two Presses

Also the rest of the 45 Gallon Run Dust Removal System pipes are currently sitting in the Loading bay in the pile of stuff by the dumpster.

It would be great to have contents of that pile reviewed as well.

I just went through all the wiring and cables in this area, and have triaged as follows:

RECYCLE (approx 65% by volume):

• exceedingly obsolete 22AWG telephone wire and Cat3 - Filled up a 3 week bin with this
  • Coax cable - moved beside 3 week bins (they’re too big to fit). This coax is quite nice, but not very useful IMO.

KEEP (approx 35% by volume):

• Nice chunky cabtyre cords - moved to the “A/C Electrical Stuff” bin. This is good to have around for fixing big power tools.
  • a few small rolls/spools hookup wire - moved them to the other hookup wire spools (which could use a cleanup)
  • Spools of romex and BX and cat5e/cat6 - kept all this and consolidated it to a single cubby. This is modern stuff that we should keep at least until the move. There is a good chance we will be doing a bit of wiring at the new space, and these are modern materials on tidy spools that an electrician should be able to use.
1 Like

Let’s keep:
(1) 3 jaw chuck
(2) Misc lathe parts (looks like wood turning stuff)
(3) Two presses and Light press (even if not used, they can be re-purposed for Injection Molding): ready to champion
(4) Dremels (I use them frequently)
(5) Angle Grinders (I use occasionally)
(6) Jigsaw (I use occasionally)
(7) Drills are always useful, so keep the Corded (Black & Decker) and Cordless Drills, Milwaukee & Dewalt (I use frequently)
(8) Bench Grinder (We used them to sharpen lathe tool in the Lathe Class by @rsim)
(9) Power Supply: Depends on the output V & A
(10) Belts: Super useful, keep
(11) Shelving Brackets & Wire Racks: Keep
(12) Fog Machine? May be for Self Defense
(13) Dust extractor (can be really useful)
(14) Cables? Not used them, so someone who uses them can say?
(15) Is the Display used at Maker Faire or other events?

Okay, here’s an update.

I cracked open the ShowMax Display. It was obviously made for VHS, probably by @sIGNgUY. Looks great for outreach.

Still a lot of stuff we don’t have a good sense on:

Equipment Action
Nokia Benches (5) Keep
Misc Lathe Part Crate (@rsim) Keep
Shelving Brackets Retire
600V Cable Spool Sorted
Misc Cable/Motor Crate ???
Misc Electrical Cable Box Sorted
Misc Electrical Cord and Plugs Sorted
Box of misc cable spools Sorted
Red metal box with bearings Retire
Wooden Shelf (Disassembled) ???
Heavy Wooden Frame Retire
Wire racks Retire
Bench Grinder Keep
4.5” Angle Grinder Keep
BOSCH Jigsaw 1587VS Keep
Dremel Multimax MM40 ???
Dewalt 18V Cordless Drill ???
Black and Decker 4.0 A Corded Drill ???
Milwaukee Cordless Drill ???
Mastercraft 4.5” Angle Grinder ???
Jobmate 7.25” Circular Saw ???
Powerfist Dremel ???
Light drill press? Retire
FOGMachine ORFOG400L Retire
ShowMax Tabletop Self-Packaging Display Keep
Random Power Supply Retire
Random Project in Pieces Retire
Misc Lathe Parts, 3 jaw chuck Keep
Tub of PVC Cutoffs and Belts Retire
Two Presses Keep
Crate of Junked Lights Retire
Misc Spools and Boxes of Cable Sorted
Walnut Wood Scraps Keep
45 Gallon Run Dust Removal System Keep

@rsim, @Emerson, @Majicj, @mike can any of you folks confirm the lathe parts are actually compatible with what we have?

Anyone else: Take a few minutes to confirm that the tools stored back there are working. If cordless, that we have compatible chargers and that the batteries are okay?

1 Like

I’ll take the red metal box with bearings. They will be used for a sculpture. Also will have a look at the lathe bits next time I’m in. @rsim will know more about this though.