VHS Equipment Review - June 2024

In response to @lukecyca 's post here: https://talk.vanhack.ca/t/no-space-left-at-the-hack-space/15505 it’s time to review some of the equipment at VHS and decide whether to keep it, sell it, or give it away.

I’ll start the list with a few items that come to mind in no particular order. Please add to this list by replying with a description and/or photos of the item.

Cheap crappy multimeters

• Proposal: freecycle them
  • Justification: VHS now has several higher-quality (e.g Fluke and Greenlee) multimeters serving the electronics area. There is no reason to have more than a couple cheap-o multimeters kicking around.
  • strongly agree
  • mildly agree
  • don’t care
  • mildly disagree
  • strongly disagree
  • more discussion needed
0 voters

Sewing machine table project

• Proposal: ask owner to remove it
  • Justification: This appears to be a member project that is stored improperly.
  • strongly agree
  • mildly agree
  • don’t care
  • mildly disagree
  • strongly disagree
  • more discussion needed
0 voters

Silkscreening Equipment:

• Proposal: Sell it
  • Justification: It takes up a ton of space and hasn’t been used in years.
  • strongly agree
  • mildly agree
  • don’t care
  • mildly disagree
  • strongly disagree
  • more discussion needed
0 voters

Cricut machine

• Proposal Sell one of the Cricut machines
  • Justification: We have two. Do we need more than one?
  • strongly agree
  • mildly agree
  • don’t care
  • mildly disagree
  • strongly disagree
  • more discussion needed
0 voters

Large Vinyl Cutter

• Proposal: Sell it
  • Justification: Last I heard the large vinyl cutter doesn’t work properly. Also, we have a cricut machine.
  • strongly agree
  • mildly agree
  • don’t care
  • mildly disagree
  • strongly disagree
  • more discussion needed
0 voters

Arcade Machine

• Proposal: Sell, give away, or put a deadline on it
  • Justification: It takes up a ton of space and having a big non-functioning piece of equipment as the first thing that people see when they come down the stairs kind of sucks.
  • strongly agree
  • mildly agree
  • don’t care
  • mildly disagree
  • strongly disagree
  • more discussion needed
0 voters

Hydraulic Press:

• Proposal: Sell it or downsize to a smaller one:
  • Justification: Not sure this one actually gets used
  • strongly agree
  • mildly agree
  • don’t care
  • mildly disagree
  • strongly disagree
  • more discussion needed
0 voters

BBQ

• Proposal: Sell it and buy a portable one with a folding stand
  • Justification: Takes up less space.
  • strongly agree
  • mildly agree
  • don’t care
  • mildly disagree
  • strongly disagree
  • more discussion needed
0 voters

Sawhorses:

• Proposal: Give away and replace with folding ones
  • Justification: takes up less space
  • strongly agree
  • mildly agree
  • don’t care
  • mildly disagree
  • strongly disagree
  • more discussion needed
0 voters

Box of IP phones

• Proposal: Put in they alley with a free sign, and create a facebook marketplace listing
  • Justification: These still work, but we don’t have a use for them. They’re from Amazon so we can’t sell them.
  • strongly agree
  • mildly agree
  • don’t care
  • mildly disagree
  • strongly disagree
  • more discussion needed
0 voters

Filing cabinet in electronics area:

• Proposal: Put into the alley with a free sign.
  • Justification. Two of the drawers are empty, the other two contain SMD resistors/capacitors that can be purged eventually. In the meantime we can move them into a box.
  • strongly agree
  • mildly agree
  • don’t care
  • mildly disagree
  • strongly disagree
  • more discussion needed
0 voters

Idea: Require all large space projects to be linked to a talk post.

• Proposal: Large space projects must be clearly tagged/labelled with a link or QR code to a project post on Talk
  • Justification: Avoids the awkward situation where you don’t know who owns a project, also it’s cool to see status updates when a project gets worked on.
  • strongly agree
  • mildly agree
  • don’t care
  • mildly disagree
  • strongly disagree
  • more discussion needed
0 voters
3 Likes

Ask the high school or the community center if they would like the equipment. It’s a vehicle for creative projects.

1 Like

I voted more discussion on the extra cricut and the silkscreen stuff just because I thought they belonged to @yeungx. If so, would suggest we ask them to be taken home.

5 Likes

i would purchase the cricut if it came to it. I’ve been eyeing one for a while now.

3 Likes

I didn’t realize we had a hydraulic press? Doesn’t seem to be listed at tool [Vancouver Hack Space]

I’d like to take a look at getting the arcade machine going again (with a given time limit). Kevin and I got it working when we were at Cook Street.
Also I will take a look at the IP phones as I may be able to use one of them.

5 Likes

I’d offer the VIP phones to members (via a post and eventually the freecycle pile) before offering to public or leaving in the alley…

2 Likes

@lukecyca you’re the only one so far disagreeing with disposing of the filing cabinet. Do you have a perspective on it that perhaps the rest of us are missing? I’m singling it out specifically since it seems like low-hanging fruit.

1 Like

We have tons of the IP phones. If we e-wasted half of them we’d still have tons.

2 Likes

FWIIW…

I have been culling the SMD parts and can fit what is remaining in the large filing cabinet into the existing SMD totes (allowing removal of the large filing cabinet)…

Or we can keep the large filing cabinet and I can fit the SMD totes contents into the filing cabinet (allowing removal of the SMD totes around the electronics bench…

Perhaps the latter is better as then we will have a single SMD cabinet (well actually there is another smaller one with SMD LEDs) with finite storage for SMD…

3 Likes

Re: Hydraulic press.
It it gets used fairly regularly based on how often Janet comes in and has an airline hooked up to it. For the kind of of things it’s used for (pressing out bearings, bending steel bars) there really isn’t a replacement. Janet has aspirations to use some of that big ass plate steel to make bending dies.
If we expand our blacksmithing options it can also be used for quiet metal forming.

7 Likes

By “sewing machine table project”, you mean the treadle machine @Ficus_mischievous was planning to fix up, not the industrial machine, right?

1 Like

And like @Janet , I thought the silkscreening equipment (and one of the Cricuts) belonged to @yeungx.

And I think it would be cool if we started making t-shirts again, but of course that requires that somebody who knows how to silkscreen has time to run a workshop.

3 Likes

My only hesitation is that I occasionally get SMD resistors out of those drawers, and like how they’re all organized. But I don’t particularly disagree with removing the filing cabinet, if there’s better ways to use that space, please go ahead! I do like having a selection of SMD components around, but I’d like to see it thinned out. I don’t care much what stays and what goes, and would trust anyone who’s somewhat knowledgeable to use their best judgement. Like maybe keep interesting and expensive MEMS sensors, mosfets and voltage regulators, ditch all the caps and resistors smaller than 0402, organize resistors by decade only, etc.

3 Likes

Correct.

We might have room for those in the smaller filing cabinets under the electronics benches.

The plan I have been working on is to do the following with the SMD parts:
• Get rid of all the small 0402 parts
• Cull the resistors and ceramic capacitors down to some standard values
• Keep most of the electrolytic capacitors
• Keep 90% of the misc parts (sensors, uCs, regulators ,etc)

I’ll look at how much space may be left in the 2 drawer filing cabinet presently filled with SMD leds and either fit all SMD in the 2 drawer cabinet (allowing us to get rid of the 4 drawer cabinet) or visa versa…

5 Likes

Ok, so far it looks like we have consensus on the following:

Cheap crappy multimeters:

• Next step: create a talk post with a picture and a poll for each meter to decide which ones to freecycle
  • Task Owner: none yet

Sewing machine table project:

• The owner has been made aware and will be removing it later this week.

BBQ:

• Next steps: sell it or give it away, do a talk post for crowdfunding the portable bbq
  • Task Owner: none yet

Sawhorses:

• Next steps: John will raffle them on Thursday. More discussion needed about whether we actually need to replace these with folding ones (or if we can just eliminate the sawhorses), or what kind of folding version we can use instead.

Box of IP phones:

• Next Steps: Give these away asap!
  • Owner: Any volunteers?

Filing Cabinet in Electronics area:

• Next Steps: Packetbob has agreed to move the contents of the filing cabinet into a tote. Then we can give this filing cabinet away asap
  • Owner: Any volunteers?

Idea: Require all large space projects to be linked to a talk post.

• Next Steps: Talk post to discuss how to implent this.
2 Likes

Gimme a few days, I might be willing to pick up a small one and do a swaperoo

3 Likes

If you have one or two Iphones left. I want to pickup 2 up later this week. I can’t make Tuesday night. Do we have a calendar of open times?