VHS Equipment Review - June 2024

We do!

https://isvhsopen.com/

I think we can crowdfund a set of folding ones. 40 bucks have been pledged thus far (see #woodworking on slack). Another 30 and i’ll get a set of folding plastic sawhorses. I have a similar set that would do well enough and take up far less space. Or we try and sell the wood ones we have to make up the difference.

Edit 1: we have successfully crowdfunded a set of folding saw horses and i have purchased them and dropped them off at VHS. I have listed the older ones up on facebook marketplace and i’ll update this once they have been sold. Proceeds will get donated back to VHS.

4 Likes

I would like to enter my name for the sawhorses. Alternatively, I would take them , use them and see if I can convert them to folding sawhorses. Sound okay?

3 Likes

cool - if you want to take them i think its cool that they go home with a VHS member. If you want to chip 20 bucks into the donation bin i think that’d be awesome.

4 Likes

Just bumping this thread as we need more volunteers to help with the items above. Please join in and help if you can. Hint: helping to declutter and clean the space is a good way to meet people, learn about how VHS works, and earn goodwill toward keyholder vouches.

4 Likes

Done, I will do that.

1 Like

I can work on the multimeter’s!

1 Like

I made the donation last night. If you could confirm that the payment was made, that would be better.

Thanks for picking up the BBQ today. Reminder to e-transfer me $27 to john.c.craver@gmail.com for the propane refill. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey. Sorry I have not been around as much.

the screen printing machine
It is mine. However have come to the conclusion that the precision required for consistent screen printing is a little too difficult for the space. I vote we sale it and donate to proceeds to the space. If we can’t sell it, I am willing to give it to anyone that wants it. Lastly, if we can’t do anything, then I will dispose of it.

For the circuit.
I believe mine version is a higher end model and more capable then the other version. I will check it out in the space to confirm. Does that effect the decision at all. I feel like the cricut is a easy to use machine. Training is easy and tutorials are easily available online. I feel like this is still a good fit for the space. but I will take it back upon request.

5 Likes

Sounds good. I think have only seen your cricut get used specifically because it is the higher end model. Does it use the same consumables as the one owned by VHS?

Any thoughts on how much our asking price should be on the screen printer? One other alternative is to find a way to store it compactly somehow. Perhaps inside the arcade machine with the screens? (Just kidding)

@elizabot I see you’re in slight disagreement about getting rid of the electronics filing cabinet. Could you please elaborate?

I think the Cricut is a good piece of equipment for the hackspace. It doesn’t take more space than an inkjet printer and compliments the button maker and other things we have around. I’ll create a separate talk post for it, but I am happy to have a workshop that involves making vinyl cut stickers and the little take home thing could be a t-shirt that the participants have made using the Cricut and some heat transfer vinyl.

7 Likes

Agreed. I only learned that we have a Cricut from the discussion of its possible removal + seeing Phil use it yesterday. For it’s little size, I don’t see a compelling argument to remove it.

5 Likes

there’s still two cricut machines. Yeung’s is the newer one and should be the one that is kept. the older one can be sold off or what not i think. And then there’s the big vinyl cutters which is it’s own separate discussion point.

1 Like

Agree on the Cricut stuff. The vinyl cutter is overly large for what we need and has never worked that great. I’d be game to see it shuffle on.

I went to the space and double checked, the cricut that the hackspace owns is a really old one that only support new design to be bought on cartridges. There are ways to hack it to support your own designs, but it requires a windows xp vm.

So yeah, just use mine.

5 Likes

Just to reiterate, I have an immediate use for the sawhorses. I sent a donation to help with the folding units which are now in place. I will pick them up today (Tuesday) probably in the evening.

6 Likes

What? I thought I only commented on the silk screening equipment.

I have no opinions on the electronics filing cabinet.

1 Like

Since the vip phones were an Amazon donation I think that we should either give them to members or take them to recycling. If we just give them away to random people we lose control over the not for resale rule.

1 Like