It has been much too long since I updated this. Between holiday travel and some illness I haven't been in the space much, but the few times I went I made some progress.
Back in December, I got the sander to the point where I needed to make a belt pulley. I rigged up a temporary lathe by putting the belt over the shaft and using some angled metal clamped down as a tool rest.
The motor seemed super weak, even for the temp setup I had, turns out it was still set to high voltage. A quick change of a few plugs in the motor, following a guide on the side of the motor and it was fixed. By that point I owned my own lathe tools and finished the pulley in nearly no time.
Today I used sandpaper attached to a board to true the drum.
Once it was true and to size, I applied the velcro.
Then I cut the edge taper of the sandpaper and rolled it on (easier said than done)
I wanted to cut some thin pieces of my block of walnut for my Ukulele back (yes, this is the Ukulele build log, I do have focus even though the last two months has been about the sander). I planed down the block so I'd have a nice edge to put against the tablesaw fence. This also happened to be the initial test piece of the sander. This block was nice and flat after about 4-5 passes (slightly lowering each time).
After cutting and sanding I had thin pieces for the back like this:
Rinse and repeat, and once on a piece of Wenge, I was able to glue up three pieces to make the back of my Uke body
After it is mostly dry (about 5 hours at this point) I take it out of the clamps and weights. I'm letting it dry some more before I sand the glue off.
I have to be delicate with this piece as it is only butt jointed together. once I get the body in place some ribs will help with the structure.