Its been almost 2 months since an update. This is because I had surgery on my wrist that put me in a cast for 6ish weeks. But I'm mostly out of my cast and the pain, well, still sucks but isn't as bad as it used to be.
The bigger thing is that I had 6 weeks to figure out how to do my next step.
Before the surgery, I was getting ambitious with jigs so that I could cut the tapered mortise and tenon for the neck joint. I printed 4-5 prototypes, each time getting larger as I realized I needed more stabilization.
Unfortunately, the first time I tried one of these 3d printed joints on the router (with a test piece of wood) I destroyed the jig. It turns out that the PLA caught the router bit quite harshly. I wasn't near the blade but it sure gave me a scare (any catch is scary). I was properly positioned so no injury occurred, but the jig was absolutely shredded. I suspect now that the PLA got hot almost immediately with the friction of the router bit and melted, which caused even more material to bite and then pulled it out of my hand.
But the 6 weeks let me figure out my solution. Just cut the thing off and use a hangar bolt (yes, this is how a lot of Ukuleles are assembled).
I need a bit more adjustments to sanding the edges, but it will work well. Here's a photo of the neck attached to the Ukulele.
I started on the fretboard tests. I'm in-between using a two-part fretboard and cutting a new fretboard (due to an error in mounting the neck one or the other has to be done). Or I could change the neck mounting hole, but I like where this is going, so I'll roll with the mistake (again).
The surprising part is, all this was done with my left hand (and a little bit of above the wrist right-arm).
More updates soon now that I can move around a bit more.