Thursday is open for members, now until February 1. Can someone please teach me the CNC?

Thursday nights from 7:30-10:00 is guaranteed open for members now until February.

I’d really like to use the newest CNC. Is anyone available to teach me, please?

Training for the new CNC is in this thread:

That’s great. I’m never available saturday mornings. Is anyone else available to help me thursday nights?

That is too short to do a decent introduction I think. I wake up super early so unfortunately that’s too late into the evening for me.

For reference, the class this morning took 6 hours, and that was for 2 people (and I’m already familiar with CNC milling so didn’t do any of the CAM, and that takes a good chunk of the time). I expect 2-3 people to take ~8 hours.

Hi: I am in Whistler, so could not make it to neither Thursday, nor Saturday classes. It is great that you got new CNC machine, though! I am certainly interested. I remember Richard told me that CNC is not for milling stones; though, I can source some quality Dease Lake jade and it is type of material that will not be scratched by steel, super tough because it has fibers too. I sow machinned jade pendants and tablets.

FWIW, I have owned and used a 3 axis 4x8’ wood routing CNC in the past using LinuxCNC and CamBam, plus I’ve written firmware for 5? CNC machines with different kinematics. I’m looking to find out the particulars of this device get certified to use this machine. Does that shorten the intro process a bit? Plus it could be split over a few Thursdays.

Another option is to video the Saturday class so members can watch it later.

Well I have every Thursday for several weeks and I’m willing to do my
homework (like go away and come back with a fusion model prepped to CAM).
Could you video the Saturday morning class so then I could watch it
thursday?

I don’t know if VHS wants stone machined on their CNCs. I wouldn’t cut it
on my CNC, unless I was able to confine it to its own dedicated water bath.
The dust coming off of it is extremely harmful to the mechanical workings
of the machine.

Unfortunately no it won’t really make it that much shorter. We still have to go through the process and I don’t like cutting corners. That is how mistakes and damage happen.

Cutting stone really requires dedicated lapidary machines.

1 Like

Got it, thanks. Ithe is up to VHS, I can only get the stone. cheers

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.