The Doughocracy - Sourdough Starter Requests, Results, & Bread Talk

Made sourdough pizza for lunch with that recipe above. It was so good. I cooked it in a cast iron pan at 500 Degrees for 15 mins. I preheated the oven with the pan in it.

1 Like

Whoa that looks fantastic!

Pizza is always a good time, I’m thinking of trying some unique combos with ingredients like artichoke, crab, applesauce, blackened chicken, caramelized onion, etc.

1 Like

More good pizzas to try… (thanks @metal_janet for the flavour assist)

Potato pizza: Potato, bacon, rosemary, bechamel sauce, gruyere cheese, black pepper fresh arugula on top after cooking. For extra points dress arugala with olive oil and lemon zest.

Butter chicken pizza - chicken, red pepper, cauliflower, butter chicken sauce, mozzarella, cilantro.

Mushroom (throw in some liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce) , caramelized onion, and sliced garlic pizza

and for full yuppie:
Prosciutto, fig and brie pizza. Throw the lemon zest olive oil arugula on top.

3 Likes

Also, anywhere that you might use pineapple you can substitute mango, fite me.

1 Like

To all those who have posted a photo in this thread, do I have permission to use your photo in a blog post? :slight_smile:

1 Like

This za was just what we had around - some cooked chicken, olives, rosemary, mushrooms and a small bit of chevre. The chevre toasts up nicely at 500 degrees.

@Arrgh all good - thanks - feel free to use pics.

Ooo those all sound so good - especially the potato one.

@Arrgh of course, thanks for putting those together!

1 Like

Finished the pizza dough tonight. We got 9 mini pizzas out of it. Good stuff.

The Doughocracy - Vancouver Hack Space :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you want to have tasty fresh sourdough on xmas eve…start your leaven tonight. Takes 5 mins. Then tomorrow, mix up dough, then 24th bake.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-sourdough-bread-224367

I’m making sourdough bread right now - anyone else?

Also made focaccia bread with extra starter. Turned out great. I used a pizza dough recipe. Left it to rise, then got lazy and baked it last night instead of making pizza. Good stuff. Toppings are olive oil rosemary, pepper, parmesan, and salt.

Yes, I eat only bread now.

Also check out reddit.com/r/breadit for more baking stuff

lol. laziness is the seed for ingenuity. looks yummy

1 Like

Hey @TristanL what recipe do you use for your english muffins? I have a lot of starter now so want to use it up. :smiley:

I’m also thinking of trying my starter on some rye to see if it will work. I’m thinking after a few feedings it should do.

I usually just make a standard 60-65% hydration bread dough except with a few spoons of coconut oil or butter added, then instead of loaves rolling out 2cm thick and cut into 3-4" rounds. Once proofed (preferably on a semolina dusted tray) for a bit just throw them in a pan or griddle until brown.

Another great use for extra starter is pancakes, I’ll post a recipe with pics next time I make them.

Anyone else who wants to get in on the action just let us know and one of us will leave a starter in the fridge for you.

1 Like

How’s the bread-making going? Anyone else give it a try yet? Yes…feel the pressure. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was finally able to make it in to the space and grab the starter @Janet left with my name on it. I revived it last night and am glad to say that it is now happily bubbling away! Looking forward to baking all the things! Thank you!

1 Like

Wewt! Excellent. Would love to see what you make when you get a chance. It’s really Tristan’s starter which is the best I’ve ever used! (thanks Tristan)

now that the holidays are over i think i have time in my life for a new pet. Is there an extra starter around that i could call my own?

I’ll hug it… and kiss it… and name it George

(i really hope you guys get that reference )

2 Likes