The Doughocracy - Sourdough Starter Requests, Results, & Bread Talk

Cast iron all the way! I baked the loaf I posted above in this very similar pan set.

For anyone who doesn’t use cast iron yet, man you’re missing out. The one I bought had a bit of a rough surface, so I just sanded it down with a palm sander and seasoned it well which took about 4 cycles in the oven. It’s the smoothest, most durable non-stick pan I’ve ever used. If you want to do the same, bring it in to the space and I’ll show you the way.

2 Likes

Nice! I’ve read about doing that with old pans also to bring them back to life.

Borrowed a family member’s cast iron pan, and it took like four cycles through the washing machine to get all the oils off it though

1 Like

Are you using it for snowboarding now?

1 Like

Just wipe it out, no dishwasher. It should always have a slight oiled seasoning. If you cook something that burns/sticks just throw some water in it while it’s hot and it’ll come right off.

If you ever need to clean it in the sink, then dry it off right after with a towel, heat it up a bit on the stove to evaporate any water and wipe with a bit of oil.

It sounds like a lot of work but it actually is 10x less than any other pan trust me.

1 Like

When you buy cast iron, it comes pre-seasoned. The reason the one I bought was rough was because it was seasoned with a single heavy spray of baked oil, rather than many light seasoning layers. Lodge comes smoother probably because they do 2-3 lighter seasoning layers.

The absolute best finish will come from resetting the seasoning by sanding it, then doing 4-5 very light layers of seasoning yourself. (Takes a few hours in and out of the oven)

/cast iron rant

1 Like

I also have a well-seasoned old lodge fry pan that I really like. For a while I was on a vintage cast iron kick - attempting to hunt down a rusty old pan that I could restore. I’m amazed by how long they last.

1 Like

Back in the day we all started with the same raisins - and made ginger beers. Then we sampled the results together. @wander had quite an amazing brew and I still think he should quit his job and make ginger beer.

It would be fun to do the same with sourdough - especially if we are all using Tristan’s starter.

1 Like

Sounds awesome let’s do it. Anyone who would like some starter just say so I’ll leave you a jar in the fridge.

2 Likes

Woo! I should also have more starter soon. We served up the 2nd loaf to friends tonight with some cheese. It was so good. :smiley:

I’ll take you up on it! Gonna do some holiday bread!

1 Like

yay Rob! I’m thinking about what to make next. Tempted to do some kind of rosemary bread and also thinking of using bread flour this time (although I have a huge bag of all-purpose here).

Sounds good I’ll bring in the starters tomorrow

Re: flour, I use 85/15 all purpose/whole wheat + salt and a bit of added wheat gluten. Bread flour is just all purpose with extra gluten. I have a huge bag of it that I’ll never go through, I’ll divy up some containers for y’all to experiment with if you like.

2 Likes

Could someone write this up as a blog post? :grin:

I’ll take a starter if there is enough, thanks

2 Likes

For sure, there’s plenty.

I have a bunch of 2oz jars that I’ll fill with starter and put in the fridge. To get it going just mix the entire thing with equal parts water/flour by weight, around 100-200g of each

2 Likes

Alright - who is making bread this weekend? I expect to see some loaves people.

2 Likes

There’s a bunch of jars of starter in the fridge btw

3 Likes

Here’s my leaven. I put it on at 11:30 last night.

My dough is now at stage 7 of this process: How to Make Sourdough Bread (Easy Recipe) | The Kitchn

1 Like

Thanks for starting this thread! My fiancee and I have been making simple flatbreads and bread machine bread (terrible I know, but we didn’t have an oven for a while), but we would love to up our game. All of your tips and tricks are greatly appreciated.

-Kyle

1 Like