Termination of Hackspace Tenancy

there’s a lot of empty space in the same building as makerlabs on 10th and kingsway. the rent is cheap cause the building is going to be torn down, but with the developer and the city fighting over changes to the condo plans it could be anywhere from a couple months to a year or two before tenants get kicked out.

just a thought

I did a quick Google on that building earlier today at the suggestion of Ty, and apparently it’s going to be used for popup stores until the condo goes up: http://www.thisopenspace.ca/blog/2014/9/19/every-space-we-have-right-now-hello-mount-pleasant-introducing-two-pop-up-ready-spaces-at-188-kingsway-ave

1 Like

Popup Hackspace? ;p

Hi everyone,

I co-run a space called Decentral Vancouver and was contemplating a potential or partial solution. We’re a community incubator inspired by the implications of blockchain technology. We’re located downtown at Richards and Pender. We just started a membership program for shared workspace, it’s not big enough to house all your gear maybe 1200 sq feet, but I feel like we share a lot of the same ethos.

As far as hardware projects we’re building a mesh network that will be incentivized by micropayments in bitcoin, other than that we’re mostly software / disruptive focussed in general, interested in building Decentralized Applications or DAPPs, Decentralized Autonomous Organizations or DAO’s, one of our goals is to turn the space into a DAO itself with web of trust membership, smart locks on door and fridge etc. we host a number of meetups ranging from Bitcoin orientated to The Life Span society (life extension). We have an oculus, a bunch of miners, PA, Projector, Fridge (Beers for Bitcoin), some lockers, bathroom, desks, and a lot of couches.

I feel like there’s a lot of overlap between are spaces mainly because I believe Blockchain Technology will be the Backbone for the internet of things, (IBM forked Ethereum stating this) and would love if we could somehow work together. We have a great amount of respect for VHS and its reputation that its built so please spare me if this suggestion is presumptuous.

My idea was to perhaps have two spaces, one hardware based one software based that had a shared membership. Our overhead is pretty low, just less than $1400/month, so if you could find a good hardware space for $2100/month we could potentially have two spots that work in sync (i.e) software guys can send info to hardware guys and vice versa to collaborate on projects.

If anything I’m just throwing another option out there for you guys, regardless I hope you guys find what works best for VHS.

You can check out more about the space here
www.decentralvancouver.com

Cam

3 Likes

Where should we post listings that look promising?

171 West 6th Ave 1755 SF 2500/Mo

VIVO has recently moved into a huge City-owned building with cheap rent. I heard that there is lots of neighbouring space that is also rented out by the City and is currently empty. It doesn’t sound like the City is actively seeking tenants but if you talk to the VIVO executive they might be able to put you in touch with someone who could open the door for you.

1 Like

A real estate adjuster friend. Just sent out an email to “every” commercial Realtor in Vancouver.

Hope something good comes back.

Keep you posted.

I’m friends with a business owner located about a block away from you. I’m going to talk to him as he has quite a bit of space. If you need any help with anything (moving, storage, etc) please feel free to ask!

3 Likes

thx jason

If you have any news, please contact me through private message. Thanks for thinking of us!

This topic is no longer a banner. It will no longer appear at the top of every page.

1 Like

Hello Hackers:

As I tried to tell in the past, the new Vancouver Hack Space should be built. I am sorry, I can no longer follow all of the information on the Internet to deal with all posts and comments, or to know it all. Though, I am serious about building, I propose to build out of logs, a long house type of a building, where electric power source would be on one of the first things on “to be invented list”. I’ve talked to Bernie about milling an M_NEOCINE Scribe and in the process milling a line is more cost efficient, so with right relations and respect with each other, a number of members could each obtain a tool. I also greatly appreciate everyone was very friendly at VHS. I have a set of plans for building in portfolio to show and push on; though, I do not think I will get your attention. If we get together and turn on the power point in a manner similar to how folks do at Maker Labs, it would be all. There is saying “the one who pulls is the one who gets whipped”, it really should not be that way.

All best,

Yuriy

2 Likes

Yuriy,

Next time you see Steven in person, have a discussion about this:

“M_NEOCINE Scribe” appears to be a googlewack, Which makes it rather difficult to understand what you’re suggesting here.

1 Like

M_NEOCINE is the name for scribing tool used in log construction. It is a new name and has nothing to do with google.

I’m having trouble understanding what the scribing tool is, and how it would create a building.
Could you further describe an M_NEOCINE?

2 Likes

I’m not sure but I think he might be talking about something like this:

Hi Rob:

Thank You for asking. Scribing tool does not create the building, scribing tool is used to scribe - draw shapes and lines on wood (logs) to then cut them to fit logs tightly to build the building. The dome can be built that way. I feel quite awkward sending these details to everyone, or about writing more. Scribe is a hand tool that must be used by a person. M_NEOCINE is the special name that I gave to my model, I have designed and am trying to mill. It is unusual word-term to have some structure, to be hard to pronounce and so to be remembered, alike Timmerhus, Starret, Chambers, Veritas, Woods, Makie, I am not sure if all those are builders’ last names. I hope this clears it out.

Wish you all best,

Yuriy

Exactly, only I’ve designed my own model. That is great price, thanks for the link.

Rob: scribing tool is specialized device for scribing notches in logs. It is professional device that requires a lot of learning. I never held one in my hand to tell you more; though, I am sure that with wish and a little bit of effort, a man can figure out to use it well naturally. I will describe you M_NEOCINE in person, if occasion comes.