Solder Paste dispenser - Call for donations

@TomKeddie’s solder paste dispenser made SMD so easy and quick ( See Bus Pirate 3.6 Build ) when compared to hand soldering that I want to get a permanent one for the space. The total cost, estimated at ~$140 CDN after shipping/taxes/exchange/etc., is too much for me to do on my own.

If you are interested in donating funds towards the purchase, please reply ( or if you want to stay anonymous, you can PM me).

I’m in for $30

Thanks!

Stretch Goals:

• funds for a reflow toaster oven dedicated to the space

• funds for a compressed air storage system so the compressor does not have to be run during busy times

1 Like

I’m in for $30.

1 Like

Hector - thanks for organizing. I can throw $20 in. Let me know the best
way to give you cash. I’m guessing, in person?

1 Like

Cash, paypal would work, but please don’t send any money until we have enough funds. (I’m in for $30)

1 Like

I might be heading to China in June/July and thus able to buy one there. Sorry I can’t donate mine, I’m doing larger board runs all the time and it speed things up as you can see.

3 Likes

I’ll get behind this for $20.

Have we factored in infrastructure like an air hose from the compressor?

How much is the solder paste to purchase? I understand it needs to be
stored at low humidity and temperature:
http://www.circuitnet.com/experts/71147.shtml

1 Like

I have some spare hose extensions, I can donate one. You will also need the oil filter (about $10 from Summit from memory).

Paste is about $US17 eg. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M1RC0YY/ref=ox_sc_imb_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

1 Like

Lee’s has 10cc of paste for $5.60 SOLDER PASTE, XG-Z40, SN63/PB37, 25-45UM, 10CC, however I do not know if it is any good.

I have been using this stuff (from ebay), it is too viscous for the dispenser. It might work if blended with more flux.

Keep in mind that to use this you need to have the air compressor hooked up. This means it needs to be powered up and it makes a fair bit of noise. It also needs to be disconnected and drained after use. Not saying this isn’t a great idea but using it is not just a matter of plugging it into the outlet.

Doing a bit of quick math here… you’re short 40. I’ll throw in 40 :slight_smile:
Just shoot me a pm with an addy to send it to when you guys are ready to buy this.

1 Like

Think we can find a used toaster off of craigslist?

Thanks! I’ll talk to Tom and figure out the best way to get the solder paste dispenser.

I have a used toaster I can donate to the cause. We would need other components such as a temperature controller/timer combo, thermocouples, insulation, etc. All of it is available in the form of a kit. @packetbob bought a kit for his oven, Bob where did you get yours and how do you like it compared to others you might have considered?

I got my controller from http://www.whizoo.com/buy
They are not cheap and you can definitely roll your own but:

1. I wanted something reliable
  2. I like the auto calibrate feature so it is always ensuring your temperature profile is correct
  3. It was easily obtainable

There was a toaster at the bunker labelled for the purpose it might have been dumped. Honestly, things that have been used for food are not great things to have at the space. I bought mine new for under $US25, it’s a lot cleaner.

The VHS toaster labelled NOT FOR FOOD is on the top shelf, above the
soldering stations / where the Zip Tie bin is.

I haven’t ever seen it actually used, so it would be nice if someone pulled
it out and either assessed the viability of hacking it, or made a case as
to why it is unsuitable and three-week-bin-worthy.

For some reason I thought that it belonged to you @TomKeddie

I’ll do that this coming Tuesday

2 Likes

I|f it’s duff, London Drugs have a new toaster oven on sale right now.

http://www.londondrugs.com/Black-Decker-4-Slice-Toaster-Oven---TO1322SBD/L7773583,default,pd.html

That’s the same oven I used… It is a nice size…