Request - Workshop on Arduinos and 1-Wire sensors

I made a promise to a fellow VHS member ( @erik_zepka ) that I would run a workshop on Arduino and 1-Wire sensors in April. My schedule for April is now full and I can’t fulfill that promise. This makes me sad, I don’t want to be a guy that breaks promises. So I am resorting to bribery.

If you are willing to run a open workshop for VHS’s members on addressing 1-wire devices with an Arduino in April. I will give you 20x 1-wire temperature sensors DS18B20 ($85 value) . You can use the sensors in the workshop and keep them when you are done. You can also charge for the workshop (Anything you want) and it should bring in ~15 people, you will make anywhere from $50-$100 in workshop fees.

The workshop is pretty straightforward, and there is lots of example code/tutorial online.

1. Reading the device ID
  2. Reading values from a device.
  3. Reading values from multiple devices on the same trunk.

There is one more requirement. I am leaving on Monday (April 13th). I don’t have a lot of time to get you the sensors. So you got to agree before Sunday night.

Please help me not be a guy who breaks a promises.

2 Likes

I’ll do it!

1 Like

I can help out @seanhagen!

1 Like

When is this course being run?

Got the parts last night, set up the Picatic event just now!

Get yo tickets!

Nice one!

Sweet! I am in! :slight_smile:

Me 2…

Hi thanks to Andrew I was informed of this - sorry still not quite in the groove following when new postings come up here. Sean, this project came out of some topics/concerns among the Open Science Network, a biohacking/citizen science group I’m a part of. Then I made a post a bit back about the basic concept(s) and got into conversation with Steven about how we could have mutual events and he proposed complementary sensor workshops. And now we’re here.

I’m wondering if it’s ok I do a short intro on that background along with a quick mention in the event (in conjunction with the Open Science Network or something like that) - and then I can cross promote the event to our group. I can also help with running/facilitating.

Completely understand if you want to just do this as is - I can follow up later with events of my/our own. But what excited me most about conversing with Steven was the possibility of events that could cross-fertilize our members and interest so would be awesome to follow up on that.

Either way thank you for taking the lead on this - it’s a great topic and I look forward meeting you (and everyone on this thread / with an interest) really soon!

Hey @erik_zepka, if you want to come down to the space this week or next week to chat that’d be useful. Much easier to have those sorts of discussions in person than via forums/chat.

Yes I think you might be right. I will message you!

Hi, I was waiting for this one to come up but now it looks like I’ll be away that day :disappointed_relieved: I’m still interested in this or any other citizen science projects, please keep us in the loop.