I'm going to Paris France for a week, what should I do?

Surprise trip to France to do some work in Toulouse, and a week of vacation in Paris.

Where are some good places for Geeks to go in Paris?

I know about the hacker space in Toulouse

There are a bunch in Paris

What else should I do? Where should I go?

enjoy the food,
the quality of the food in grocery stories is amazing

enjoy the culture
providing your neighbours free wifi is the norm not the exception

Tour of the catacombs! I’ll pm you details.

1 Like

Have fun @funvill!!!

Get a Museum pass! They are worth it, and you can go to several cool places.

http://en.parismuseumpass.com/

Musee d’Orsay was beautiful, and much less busy than the Louvre.

This will leave a lifelong impression on you: Catacombs of Paris - Wikipedia

2 Likes

Montmartre, especially the steps to the Sacre-coeur. It’s a nice climb from down the steps as well.

Eiffel tower… you can get to the upper deck for a decent rate, awesome view regardless. Never been at the top - never felt it was worth it - but if you have the budget, go for it!

Eatting tip: Pain Americain - I’ve had a full one on more than one occasion.

I’d suggest do one day of travelling around and another to visit specific places. Also, the Louvre has wtf-long-line-ups.

And do take a stroll around Boulevard de Clichy at night.

1 Like

Croissants, and if for some reason you happen to be in the street around
5am knock on any boulangerie, they’ll sell you croissants or any bread as
its coming out the oven. Ridiculously good. Buy a different type of cheese
every day, some bread, and enjoy it at any of the picturesque spots around
town. And a bottle of wine, at every meal at least, including breakfast.

2 Likes

It seems super touristy but you have to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower. It’s amazing. More than you’d think it’d be, even.

Montmartre is beautiful. Skip the funicular and walk up the stairs.

Notre Dame is a must see. The best part though is the tour of the exterior. Looking at the front of the cathedral there’s a lineup down the left hand side for that tour that takes you up with the gargoyles and into the hunchback’s bell tower. Incredible view from up there too.

The military museum at Les Invalides is very cool. 500 years worth of military uniforms, weapons etc. And as a bonus you get to see Napoleon’s very majestic tomb.

One of the best things to do is just walk. The metro system is really good and easy to understand and efficient but guaranteed you’ll be happy just walking as much as possible.

Coffee and food is a lot more expensive at cafés and restaurants if you sit on the patio but hey, it’s Paris. Sitting on a patio watching Parisians do their thing is worth the price.

Croissants aux almandes will blow your mind.

So much more but that’s a good start. :smile:
Troy

2 Likes

Also, don’t jay walk on the Champs d’Elysee…

All of the above!

Bookstores, bakeries (real baguettes!), pastry and butcher shops,
wine, and cheese!
Also, there is one pissoir left in Paris…

Real baguettes that are cheap! Like €1 cheap. And at every boulangerie you can get a damn fine sandwich (my fave is saucison buerre) for €4 and a nice frosty Kronenbourg for another €1. You can eat well cheaply in France.

Thanks everyone, you have given me some great ideas.
Now to do some quick research and plan my trip out.

Eating tip #2

French food is amazing but in Paris any decently rated french cuisine when I was there was crazy busy. There is so much cool stuff to see that waiting a long time for a table somewhere for lunch or dinner is really a waste. However Shawarma is very popular there and decently priced. Italian food there was also really great and reasonably priced. Pizza is almost all wood oven fired and the fresh pasta is incredible.

Much to my wifes shame I had pizza almost every day we spent in Paris. It was all amazingly tasty.

Also find the nearest mercado and buy bottled water to take with you. Its cheap at the grocery stores and everywhere else its cheaper to buy beer than it is to buy bottled water.

2 Likes

Yes! Pizza there is f’ing good!

And I second @3bien’s suggestion: find a boulangerie at 5-6 in the morning for fresh croissant. If you do that before heading up to the steps of the Sacre Coeur, you’ll have a great view with your breakfast! :smiley:

Yep croissants “encore chauds” are delicious. And if you find a good patisserie get some choquettes.

Thank you again for the suggestions.

Here are some pictures from La_Paillasse
https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/La_Paillasse

They are a Bio hacking space in the center of Paris. They are doing aquaponics, Open ecology solar heaters, PCH, eTextiles, hydroponics in air tight sealed environments, sensory deprivation tanks (so cool!), They have residents that live at their space for a few months at a time and are very well funded. The space is huge and goes deep underground, If you are ever in Paris this is a good space to check out.

Here are some pictures from HackENS
https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/HackEns

Here are some random pictures that I took while I was there

2 Likes

Thanks for the pics. That one space is huge! I am intrigued. What’s in the
blue barrel? It looks like beans or maltesers but I’m guessing it’s
something less delicious like some medium for filtering water?

I can answer that one, the blue barrel looks to hold Hydroton clay pellets, a hydroponic growing medium.

1 Like