Quick Challenge - Chocolate Bar Design, Due January 19th

In the spirit of fair play, I’m not entering the one I did back in 2019 unless there are no other entries, because I think I spent more than a week finessing it.

1 Like

Can you post a photo for inspiration? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

omg that looks delicious! (and a really cool design to boot!)

2 Likes

Thanks! This was done in Rhino, and it was a lot of fun.

1 Like

In case it wasn’t obvious, the end date of this challenge lines up with when we expect to get our new vacuuformer! Help us make some cool PR images for our new tool!

3 Likes

Sketch:

So the idea would be to make a raised square chocolate bar and either embed or raise the icons into the squares. Tried to get a square for each area of the hackspace (skipped the screen printing, vinyl cutter, lounge and kitchen [though the fire kind of counts])

Full disclosure, some of the icons I drew, some… well, there may have been unholy things done with stock photos and a vectorizer…

8 Likes

Does the design have to be rectangular? Could it be another shape, as long as it is flat on one side?

2 Likes

Well, from a mold standpoint it just needs to be flat on the top side where the chocolate gets poured in and self levels.

Also whatever you make has to have a draft angle (sloped) so it can be demoldified (no overhangs mmkay, or else you end up with a chocolate bar permanently wrapped in a mold).

Other than that, the only thing preventing an oddly shapped chocolate bar is the crushing weight of hundreds of years of chocolate making tradition enforcing its bars must be rectangular ideas upon your vision. Also I hear Mr Hershey gets kinda kneecappy if people try to make a non stackable bar :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Please please please make Hershey turn in his grave! I want to see the coolest designs you can come up with!

Sure, why not. Here’s a PCB:

2 Likes

Janet I’m going to be disappointed if your chocolate doesn’t have any LEDs in it. Tri coloured, individually addressable sprinkles!

5 Likes

A scutoid (or a matching pair) would spin Mr Hershey the fastest! They’re super cool and only discovered a couple of years ago.

2 Likes

It’s a deal but you have to make a choc plague doctor mask! :smiley:

1 Like

Hmmm…

2 Likes

My wife’s submission (might need a little repair as some crumbled already):

3 Likes

lol. That is awesome but doesn’t that have some overhang? I have an idea but no time to carry it out…

1 Like

Sketch it out!

1 Like

I hope you find this choc bar design and packaging…SCRUM-DIDDLY-UMPTIOUS!
…as well as the LUCKY GOLDEN TICKET inside that invites you to a VHS open house.

Choc bar:

wrapper front:

wrapper back:

full wrapper:

Note: Golden ticket goes inside wrapper with choc bar. I did not have time to customize a golden ticket design, but you get the idea. :slight_smile:

So think of this whole package as a marketing campaign.

edit: the 3d choc bar is actually a photoshop mockup template…you drop in your art and it produces the image (it’s 2d tho). Here’s a link: https://goodmockups.com/free-chocolate-bar-packaging-mockup-psd/

Wonka-esque choc bar font is Wonderbar (license deets are here - Wonderbar Font | dafont.com)

8 Likes

Holy crap this is awesome. Maybe we could include this in baskets for neighbors?

2 Likes