Popstar: a mobile popcorn stand

A very belated post for Popstar, the mobile popcorn stand!

“Meet Popstar: a 9-foot-tall, illuminated cinema-style popcorn box that’s more than just eye candy. This interactive installation serves up free popcorn, because who doesn’t love a snack that’s better after being blown up? Popstar made its debut in summer 2023 at Burn in the Forest (Merritt, BC), ventured into the dust at Burning Man (Black Rock Desert, Nevada), and lit up the autumn night at Lumière YVR (Vancouver, BC).”

This year Popstar has been to Burn in the Forest (last weekend) and is back off to Burning Man at the end of this month. In its 11 outings we’ve served over 2,300 bags of popcorn!

Thanks to everyone who supported the project with their interest, encouragement, and knowledge! Very special thanks to:
@Ivan_Erasmus, @AndroidLx, @Emerson, @packetbob, @Metal_Janet, Bill (…Campbell, I think?)

13 Likes

This is amazing, great work!

1 Like

Looks like a wonderful concept that has been very well executed. Congratulations!

Might I suggest that you set up beside VHS’ tiny cinema during an event sometime? Perhaps east van culture crawl, or a film festival where our cinema is an “official” venue (and you can be its concession).

7 Likes

hell yeah this is sick!

1 Like

+1 on the suggestion for making an appearance during Culture Crawl! It will be a great draw particularly on the thursday fridays when the crawl happens in the evening.

4 Likes

If you do want to set up the popcorn stand next to the theatre I will totally put something like this into the playlist.

3 Likes

Who’s got a red carpet and velvet rope they can bring?

2 Likes

Thanks y’all! :nerd_face:

Putting it up at Culture Crawl is definitely on the table — I had thought about it last year but Lumiere had me exhausted. Now with the cinema maybe it’s meant to be! It really only looks good after dark so would target the Thursday or Friday night, weather permitting…

2 Likes