Panel from the LED panel

So was looking at the free-cycle pile and saw a 16x16 LED panel…
Couldn’t resist as it was small (and I’m under a bit of a self imposed restriction to limit what I bring back from the Space)…
Got home and Goggle’d the part number and found almost nothing…

Except: LED video wall, donated by a local non profit - #33 by dbynoe

Looks like it was one of the old damaged P10 panels from the big panels theat @Billiam managed to snag and that @dbynoe (and others) managed to get working…

Other than what was in the post I could not find much info…
Spent some time searching for potential libraries and ended up playing with PxMatrix

Managed to get a ESP8266 scrolling some text:
https://vimeo.com/559772660

2 Likes

It does have a missing LED, some are struck on RED or don’t work on various colors…
But hey it was in the free pile…

we have several dozen of these panels in a box in the server room. I think they’re available for projects? @dbynoe has had a lot of success with these.

I may grab a few to make a Tetris Clock for the space…
Time for more blinky in the Space…

1 Like

Should be at least 108 modules from the two screens we took apart, cant recall how many had issues, but shouldn’t be more than 20, if it has tape on it its suspect.
I also have a full file box with more at home, working to sort and test em into okay or not piles.

As for the plan, I was originally planning to do some workshops, but with covid and all I haven’t had time.

At this point I don’t know what we want to do with them, should we kick it to the surplus committee or free for all it? I am pro blinkies though.

The two remaining assembled video walls upstairs are a work in progress though, I finally got some legs built, be installing them this week so we can make that functional, I think I only have to replace 5 or 6 modules on them, know more when I get it running.

Another good project for these is smartmatrix: GitHub - pixelmatix/SmartMatrix: SmartMatrix Library for Teensy 3, Teensy 4, and ESP32
they even sell breakout boards SmartMatrix SmartLED Shield (V4) for Teensy 3 : ID 1902 : $19.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
that let you plug direct into the HUB75 connector, though its pretty easy to cut up the ribbon cable and solder the data wires direct to the microcontroller. Offiically you need a level shifter, and you probably should have one, but I have a teensy 3.2 with no shifter running a screen in Calgary that’s been going 24/7 for 5 or 6 years now unless it died recently.

Oh, one other note, if you are going to run a couple panels or more off a cheap wallwart, solder a big honking cap to the 5v and ground on the back of the module, the inrush on these things is spicy when they go white and will brown out your microcontroller if its on the same power rail, once spent a week trying to debug sd card errors until I figured that one out.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.