Music/tech night at VHS

I’m interested in running an event (possibly recurring depending on success) for people who are interested in music/tech/hacking to get together, share what they’re working on, work on things, etc. Anyone who’s interested have any thoughts?

Lots of free time in the calendar for December, so thinking of maybe doing a Thursday in December.

9 Likes

Into it.

3 Likes

Awesome! This sounds really fun.

1 Like

I play the violin and am super interesting in using light with it. Inspired by this guy’s work. Also tagging @amanda as she plays as well.

3 Likes

Sweet fiddle! Yeah I’m down for music-hack night.

3 Likes

I’m in .

2 Likes

I’m quite excited! I hope I can make it.

1 Like

Woo! Awesome! Thinking maybe of Thurs, Dec. 12th?

1 Like

Ok, we’re on for Thursday, Dec. 12th! I’ll be bringing my MIDI lights to hack on. Bring something fun or just come hang out!

CC @Tolva @mike @amanda @Janet @MachineHum

5 Likes

At what time of day will the event begin? 19:00? I have some programs written in C using MIDI that I started way back in 2004, when I decided that I wanted to become a software developer as a career and seriously began learning to develop software, but then I became too busy with my full-time job and other stuff in life, ended up becoming more of a system administrator than a software developer. These projects had been mostly inactive for years until the last two years, when I had more free time so I revived them using Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition, which has already been superseded by Visual Studio 2019. Anyway, I can now work on these projects again using a modern IDE that I can legally use without buying a licence but the only documentation for some of this code that I wrote up to fifteen years ago is the source code itself because I was not into documenting the programs I wrote back then, which means I have partially forgotten how my own programs work. I also did not really know what I was doing when I started these projects because I was already an advanced computer user but was not yet experienced at software development so I started these projects to learn to develop software using C. I have dramatically more knowledge and experience now and kind of regret choosing a compiled programming language such as C now that I have experience working with interpreted languages such as Python because having to rebuild the project after every single change to the source code to test a change gets really old really fast. I could try to at least explain what these two programs that both share the libraries I developed do but demonstrating the programs is logistically complicated to make a long story short. I have a stationary computer workstation at both my home and office instead of using the same computer in both places because notebook computers suck for my use case due to their monolithic hardware design among other reasons. I cannot install Visual Studio on my home computer because the Windows installation on my home computer is partially broken, as I mentioned in a different topic I started months ago. This means that the only comfortable way to work on these projects using an IDE is to be at my office but recently I have been mostly at home. I have a notebook computer that I could bring to the Space to run my programs but I use stationary computers as my primary computers so I cannot comfortably work on these projects away from my home and office.

1 Like

Nooooo I have a final :frowning:

I still need to know at which time of day this event begins. I added it to my calendar for 19:00 but that is only a guess at the start time because no one has told me the start time. Unfortunately, I had Yet Another HDD fail last night so working on these old programs of mine that provide no revenue is, as usual, a low priority. The latest failed HDD is in a computer that belongs to my company but the computer lives in my home because the computer is used for an automated off-site backup system. This drive failure does not affect working on my old programs mentioned in this topic but I need to fix the backup system before another drive fails. I can probably still bring my programs to this event but I have not even begun the process of trying to copy these projects to a notebook computer to bring to the event. Actually, I just now remembered that I think I was using Visual Studio on my office computer to work on these projects stored on my USB SSD so I guess I have less work to do than I thought I had to prepare to bring these projects to the Space.

1 Like

Is this event members-only? I have a small credit for facebook ads… :slight_smile:

1 Like

@brolin I’m planning to be there from 6:30 to 9! I have no clue what exactly this event will be just yet - the idea was just to get music & tech folks in one place - so please bring whatever you like! I’ll be doing some light electronics.

@Arrgh I was planning to make it open to the public! Facebook ad is a pretty interesting idea… just thinking that maybe it’d be best spent on a future version of this event once we figure out what it is exactly (I’d like to try to do it monthly!). I’m easy though!

3 Likes

Please take pictures/videos, with consent of course :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not going to make this one but looking forward to seeing what people get up to.

1 Like

Sounds fun. I made a few things with web midi in past. Happy to share experience and interested to see what people are creating!

1 Like

I went but I did not take any photograph of anything today (Thursday) because I did not even think of it because I forgot about your request. I guess the wide-angle rear-facing camera on the LG G5 I currently use may have been useful in this case. Did anyone else get any photograph or video of the event?

1 Like

I neglected to take any photos…

But there is another opportunity! Music/tech night (still working on a better name) returns tomorrow night, February 27th! I’ll head over at 6:30ish. Come on out if you’re at all interested!

2 Likes

I cannot attend because I have a preexisting plan for tonight. I do now have a Core 2 ULV (x86-64, whoo!) notebook computer, specifically an Asus UL30Vt from my father, in which to use my 2.5-inch SATA SSD with Windows 10 Enterprise for x86-32 but, alas, this Windows installation only boots in safe mode, not in normal mode, since around December. I stopped spending time trying to fix this Windows installation because the priority is too low because I usually do not need a notebook computer and, for the few times I do, I still have the Dell Latitude X1 running Windows 8.1 Enterprise for x86-32 from a 1.8-inch PATA SSD.

2 Likes