Moving day is Tuesday, early morning

We have a truck booked for Tuesday the 23rd of Decermber.

Show up at VHS any time after 7am until late at night. We need all of the hands we can get! Somewhere in the range of 4-6 people at pickup location (VHS), and 4-6 people at drop-off location (the storage warehouse).

1 Like

This topic is now a banner. It will appear at the top of every page until it is dismissed by the user.

WE NEED PALLET JACKS!

At least one at the Bunker, and one at the drop-off space is preferred.

Can we get the address of the destination storage location?

We can rent then with the truck if needed.

John C quote "one pallet jack at power street "

1 pallet jack more is required,

2 pallet jacks at each end would be ideal IMHO, 4 in total,

The CNC Milling Machine, Lathe, and Drill Press do NOT have pallets yet.

How are we going to move them?

For the milling machine, lathe and drill press, I’d suggest using the lumber from the torn-down wall to make heavy-duty pallets, and then strapping (or bolting) the machinery to the pallet.

I’ll also be at the hackspace all day tuesday + can stop by monday for prep if needed.

1 Like

I have a box of packaging banding and matching clips, are now on the lathe.

1795 Powell Street

I can drive.
I used to drive 5 ton 24’ trucks for work in sound/lighting/staging. I have full licence, no major infractions, and I’m available on that date after work. I can show up in Burnaby at 7 (ugh, not happy bout that bit)

2 Likes

Wish i could be there(out of town for holidays). Good luck everyone! God speed :stuck_out_tongue:

Reminder: As I understand it, the service agreement from the moving committee is that things will only be moved if they are on a pallet.

1. We have no pallets to move the laser cutter, lathe, CNC Milling Machine, and Drill Press.
    1a) People have suggested making them out of scrap wood, but nothing is currently done.
    1b) I have no idea how to build a pallet capable of bearing the weight involved.

2. We do have an engine hoist.
    2a) We have no chains or cargo bands to attach the machines to the cargo hoist.

Do we have to take the lathe? Can’t we put it in the free section of craigslist?

We are keeping all the large tools. Build pallets with the wood from
the laser room, use the engine hoist to lift the large equipment on to the
pallets. Move the large equipment.

I’m going to KMS tools and Lee valley tools tomorrow.
Do we need anything for the move that I can pick up and be reimbursed?

• Chain for the hoist ? what size, how much?
  • Tie downs?

Here’s a master’s thesis on pallet design and load bearing.

But these items are likely too big to fit on a single pallet and we don’t have a double length jack or anything.

I suggest we just lift them with the engine hoist, then put them on dunnage, for which we use the scrap lumber, then just use the pallet jacks to move things. I’d worry about the laser cutter, I have no idea what kind of legs it has. Who moved it in? They seem to have done a fine job.

1 Like

What kind of hook is on the hoist?

Truth be told, I’d suggest some slings like these instead of chain. Chain is a pain to attach to things. Mostly I am thinking of the lathe, where we should be able to wrap the slings around… things? Not sure what kind of attachments are on the mill or laser cutter.

Do we have approximate weights on these things? I don’t imagine the laser is as heavy as the lathe. I’d think it could be lifted with load straps and the hoist.

I’m not spectacularly worried about it all though. We have lots to move before we get to the lathe/laser/mill, and we’ll figure it out when we’re moving. We’ll likely have to send somebody to home depot or can tire.

The laser cutter is on casters and does not need a pallet.
The CNC and manual mills do not need multiple pallets, and will fit on a single well built pallet.
The lathe on the other hand? How did we get it into the space in the first place?

The lathe was brought into the space in pieces. The stand can be separated, so the engine hoist can be used to lift the actual machine part of the lathe off and then just placed on a pallet.

I’ve put a box of packing banding and clips at the space, these can be used instead of tie downs.