Maker Making Change: Build a Light Proximity Switch and/or a Switch Tester

Hey! Totally no worries at all! I’ve done this exact thing – so easy to do. I’d have never noticed it as I don’t check resistor colours in my head. Tamara has an electronics background so that’s all baked into her brain. Woo! :smiley:

My kit case was a bit rough on the hands and would not fit together so I gave it a light sand with some fine-grit waterproof sand paper and a touch of water (took out all the electronics first)…worked great.

1 Like

I finished the proximity sensor last night and put it back to the drop box! There is a bit of tension where I screwed it on because the back of the print is a little thin, but it doesn’t seem to affect the light sensor.

2 Likes

Yes, thanks for asking for feedback! I read this at the time but I perceived the left photo to be a slightly different button switch with a metal backing and I naturally assumed the black dots were holes.

Only now seeing the picture in the forum and reading Janet’s feedback did I realize the left picture is just reflecting light and had the nubs still on😅.

At the time I couldn’t figure out what the dashed line going through the middle was referring to, and didn’t know what the nubs look like. So I also assumed the nubs are the “L” cutoffs.

The dashed line might’ve made the picture into an optical illusion of sorts for me.

I think if it showed two dashed circles on the nubs instead and another pair of scissors it may solve the issue, if only other people have also missed it for the same reason as myself.

3 Likes