Magic door website, try breaking it. Feedback is welcome

Can you try and break this website?
http://door.abluestar.com/door.php

The source code can be found here

I am going to release this to the public next week for the magic door workshop

This website was paid for by this grant.

Its 4am so I expect that there will be some bugs. Suggestions and feedback is welcome!

Cool! Everything works for me. I didnā€™t add a new door but I clicked through all the parts of the site and didnā€™t notice any major problems. I also checked for responsiveness across a variety of screen shapes and sizes.

Minor fixes & Suggestions:

• On the about page, ā€œThey can lean one toā€ has a typo, but I would use a more active voice to match the preceding sentence. For example: ā€œThey lead us toā€.
  • The page <title>s are all the same, so after browsing the site for a while you canā€™t tell heads from tails in your history menu or back button. Consider using Magic Doors ā€” <name of door>, etc.
  • Shut off as many doo-dads on the Disqus interface as you can. They put so much crap on there by default.
  • Hereā€™s a version of your VHS logo that I cleaned up with better spacing and alignment. Itā€™s the same dimensions as yours so you can just pop it in if you want.

1 Like

Thank you @lukecyca for your feedback.

Fixed,

Yep, all the text and word thingies need to be updated by a person that speakers words well on paper.

There are not that many options in Disqus that I could find to change the interface and reduce the noise. Maybe I am looking in the wrong spot.

Thank you, I will use your version of the logo.

Donā€™t worry about submitting garbage data, the database will be cleared and updated with good data before the public sees it.

Looks good funvill. This is a great project.

1 Like

Things that @wander found that need to be fixed. Mentioned on Slack

The description field has no limit. I put 40K characters in it.

2 Likes

Done. used this script GitHub - snipe/banbuilder: Composer package for censoring profanity in web applications, forums, etc.

Done, 20k of text.

Done max 40 chars

Done, must be float.

Itā€™s possible to add a door with no name. Name field size is checked, then it is stripped of any tags, so if the name is ā€œ

ā€, you get no name. Doesnā€™t horribly break anything.

1 Like

This is a pretty minor thing, but damn dude, get your indentation straight :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Some other stuff:

• you donā€™t need the trailing ā€˜?>ā€™ if the file is pure PHP
  • the page that you get when thereā€™s an error is pretty plain. Could you not just re-render the submit page, with everything filled in, highlight the offending inputs, and have a div with a list of errors encountered?
1 Like

Notes on your slides:
slide3 = extra bullet
slide5 - colour spelled like an american
slide5 - word Acrylic cut off by image
slide5 - no period on 2nd bullet point
slide 6 - no period 2nd bullet
slide 6 - capitalization on ā€œmagical beingsā€?
slide 7 - do you actually need to cut out the design from the paper? I usually just glue it onto the ply
slide 10 - bad colour again
slide 10 - 3rd bullet cut off text
slide 11 - no period, first bullet
slide 11 - bottom text, inconsistent capitalization
skimmed through slides that are not quite done.
slide 17 - missing quotes on ā€œadd doorā€ page wording
slide 19 - Low res VHS logo

1 Like

Thank you @Rob_MacKenzie I have fixed up all the changes you have suggested.

Fixed, thanks @Shane

Fixed, Migrating from a text editor that uses tabs to one that is using spaces.