Do YOU want to apply for the small neighbourhood grants?

Continuing the discussion from Grant-a-thon 2015:

This has two grants:

The greenest city neighbourhood grant, designed to promote, well, making the city greener. An example they provide is hosting a bike repair workshop.

The neighbourhood grant, designed to strengthen bonds within a small neighbourhood. Block parties and such.

VHS as an organization is ineligible to apply, but individuals (this means YOU, dear reader) can apply on their own. If someone lives around the VHS area and would like to apply for this, there are several people that can help write your proposal.
Especially if you need to use VHS as a venue, that would be ideal.

I will also help out as much as I can, and there is entire channel in Slack full of us that are willing to provide as much support as possible.

Basically, if someone steps up as the applicant, we will make this happen.

For this thread, we need two things:

1. A ā€œstakeholderā€ that lives in the yellow area:

2. Lively discussion. Which of those grants would fit VHS best? What kind of workshop or party or whatever would work well at VHS and requires funding? Anything else?

This seems like a great fit with the Fix-It event:

@toptekkie https://talk.vanhack.ca/users/toptekkie @lukecyca
https://talk.vanhack.ca/users/lukecyca @Jocelynn
https://talk.vanhack.ca/users/jocelynn

2 Likes

I live within the yellow area and would be willing to put my name on an application that somebody else is willing to prepare and execute.

1 Like

This is a great program. My friend has got the neighbourhood grant a couple of times for his Great Grilled Cheese Giveaway. Its exactly what it sounds like. We close off part of the Venables bike route to cars, set up some grills and make grilled cheese and play music for an afternoon. Its really fun, it gets people engaged and talking.

I think we should apply for a grant to have a free Learn-to-solder day at the Car Free Main Street. Good for the community, enhances the sense of belonging, teaches a skill that is not common.

I suggest a free simple kit for everyone (specially minors), and a more advanced kit for those who complete the simple kit and want to learn further (SMD)?

I think this is novel enough that it could qualify as a $1000 grant.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s an awesome idea!

I will look into doing this on Monday.

Just FYI I applied for the neighbourhood grant under my name. My application is to do a soldering workshop that is almost word for word like the one described in our blog.

Took me 15 minutes and Iā€™m requesting $700 for soldering stations.

What neighbourhood did you apply in? The grants are evaluated on a per-neighbourhood basis.

vancouver/mount pleasant

thanks @wander. Youā€™re right, super in line with fix-it. I was looking into it and have not applied before so itā€™s a little overwhelming. Iā€™m curious, @toma how it only took you 15 minutes! They donā€™t need to see an excel spreadsheet with specific expected costs and such? Or had you already this information so it was just a matter of putting it in?

I think it would be great if folks in specific areas wanted to apply for grants to run fix-it eventsā€¦and also epic because it means that individuals in their communities are getting together and fixing which is the ultimate goal and hope Iā€™d have for the Fix-It Collectiveā€¦to be less of an event planner and more of a facilitator for folks who wanna host their own with their neighborsā€¦

Building community, one fix at a time: )

@hectorh let me know if you end up wanting to put your name down for an event in the yellow area (if it isnā€™t taken up by the epic soldering idea you mentioned!)ā€¦I am going to fall under the downtown area, grey.

-J

1 Like

Copy pasting. When I had to describe the event I just copy-pasted danā€™s description of the soldering workshop blog post he did.

They make you fill out a spreadsheet, so I just copied the parts list from another soldering workshop blog post.
Then I added the space to the spread sheet, as well as volunteers, and poster material which would be donated by VHS for $0.
Then at the end I added 7 soldering stations and a link to a $100 soldering station at Leeā€™s for $700.

They asked what will the grant be used for, and I specified the $700 for soldering stations.
They asked what happens if I donā€™t get the grant, and I told them Iā€™m running it anyways just that fewer people can come and their learning experience will be hindered.

And to be honest, Iā€™m either going to ask Dan if he wants to run his workshop again if I get it, or if someone intends on doing a workshop Iā€™ll change the dates to whenever they plan on doing it and surprise them with new equipment.

Awesome. :slight_smile: Thanks

Jocelynn Rodrigues
Vancouver Fix-It Collective
http://www.facebook.com/VancouverFixItCollective

http://jocelynn-r.travellerspoint.com/

P
*No-one can do everything, but everyone can do something.*Please consider
your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail and any
documents.

I honour and acknowledge the fact that I live, and do my work on unceded
Coast Salish territory, including the territories of the xŹ·məĪøkwəyĢ“É™m
(Musqueam), SkwxwuĢ7mesh (Squamish),StĆ³:lō and SəlĢ“iĢlwətaŹ”/Selilwitulh
(Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.

Bump.

I believe the deadline for this is tomorrow. Two of our members have already applied for grants (for themselves, technically) to run workshops at VHS.

@Jocelynn are you still interested in putting something together? If you write something, @hectorh will sign off on it.

Good news everyone! My request for grant funding was approved!
What was my application for? Soldering workshops!
So what did I get exactly? $700 for new soldering stations!

Hurrah!

3 Likes

Great news!

Thatā€™s awesome! Well done!

Nice

Iā€™m super sorry @Jarret, my emails got the best of me and I didnā€™t see this nutil now. :frowning: I would be down for next year though so keep me in mind :slight_smile: