Laser Material Approval Request: Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Multi-Purpose Paint in Flat Black

Following up on my previous (denied) material request ([Banned] Laser Material Approval Request: Krylon Colormaxx Flat Black Paint + Primer) - I’ve got a different product I’d like to potentially use:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rust-oleum-painter-s-touch-multi-purpose-paint-in-flat-black-340-g-aerosol-spray-paint/1000153220

Model #: N1976830
MSDS: https://www.rustoleum.com/MSDS/ENGLISH/N1976830.pdf

To try to pre-screen, I compared the ingredients in this paint to this paint that was previously approved. I saw two things in my requested paint that are not in that paint:

1. Octane
  2. Zirconium Acetate

I assume the octane is a solvent and will be gone when it’s dry. Not sure about the zirconium acetate, but it is in VERY small quantities (0.01% by weight).

Thanks for looking into this one too!

edit: this request used to be about Ultra Cover Primer | Painter's Touch | Rust-Oleum (SKU: 268069) but some concerns were raised about the zinc content potentially being a risk when vaporized so I found an alternative that doesn’t contain zinc.

2 Likes

Thank you for for submitting your request.

The LCC will review it and get back to you.

1 Like

Since some concerns were raised on slack about the potential hazard of vaporized zinc, I’ve found a different flat black that doesn’t contain zinc and edited my request to be about that. Sorry for the churn!

This is an aside because you have changed the request, but I don’t believe zinc oxide would actually be an issue in the laser cutter. It should be inert well after the temperatures that the CO2 laser can get to before the wood itself vaporises.

Obviously don’t weld or plasma cut zinc, that is whole other level of temperature.

I’m also not 100% on this, so don’t take my word for it and go lasering stuff willy nilly. Only like, 80% sure.

1 Like

The LCC has provided provisional approval for this paint.

@cory will do some test cut and engraving and report results back to LCC at which point status will be updated to approved if everything is ok.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.