Installing the pocket universe dome panels at VHS

Continuing the discussion from Mirrored Icosahedron dome - Pocket Universe:

Video from Burning Man
https://instagram.com/p/7H7JF0A5Va/?taken-by=funvill

Full set of pictures, including construction etc…

This dome has been to 8 festivals (Burning Man, Vancouver Maker Faire, Burn in the forest, etc…). Its well loved and there are plenty of stories and photos about the dome. Someone at Burning man even made a haiku about the dome.

The original goal of this project was to do something with CNC and to get invited to as many festivals as possible. I think I have accomplished that goal. Its time to retire this project and move on to bigger and better things.

I need somewhere to store or install the CNC cut dome panels (everything else is being recycled) I was thinking about painting them white with fire retardant paint. The installing them at VHS. On the cealing of the VHS with a 1 inch spacer. Above the panels in the 1 inch space, I would install LEDs that would be programmable by hyperion or python. After the installation I would run a workshop on how to program the LEDs via Python.

• Is this something that VHS wants?

• What kind of problems could this cause for VHS?

• Do you think I need the special fire retardant paint (its expensive), or will any paint do?

5 Likes

I think this would be great in the space! I prefer a bare wood look over paint, but will obviously defer that choice to your preference and to fire regulations.

The wooden panes are at the space

I am going to wait a week before installing them to give everyone a change to speak up if they don’t want them installed at the space.

++ @funvill they’d look great on the ceiling

No complains yet.
I will be installing the dome panels tomorrow, if anyone wants to help.

I might be able to help. I’ll keep an eye for when the space opens.

I will be at the space after 7:30pm

Thank you @Shane for the help today.

My original idea was to mount the panels on the roof, but after having some trouble finding the studs in the roof i gave up and decided to mount them on the north wall instead.

We first tried to put them vertically, our hope was to get three panels in this section but only 2.75 panels fit, even with them over lapping.

We ended up mounting them horizontally. They are easier to mount and sit higher on the wall then when they are vertical.

I installed some of the LEDS to see if they would work but the pink walls are not great reflectors for the LEDS and they are too dim. I thought of installing white chloroplast behind the panels as a reflector for the LEDs but ran out of time.

I plan to install the panels along the entire north wall similar to this two panels. There are sixteen panels, I don’t need to install them all, just the ones that fit.

I also was cleaning the panels of the playa dust, with compressed air while in the bay. Even with the doors closed the dust cycled back into VHS, visibility causing a mist in the air. Sorry about that. Everything was back to normal by the end of the night.

1 Like