Idea: Make a charity wing corp for VHS

I’ve been thinking that maybe we need to setup a charity division for VHS. I’ve been looking into it. Making VHS itself a charity might create too many complex problems. But making a separate wing that can accept donations on behalf of VHS might be something that we seriously look into. On several occasions I know we have been offered some donations that were withdrawn because we can’t write a charity receipt. If we were to set this up for both accepting cash and materials it might be a way for us to create a better income.

For instance accepting computer hardware that we can fix and resell for funds for the space. Because this more important as far as managing goes we may have to setup to pay a stipence towards those helping and managing the charity. (Because there are things that have to get done that can’t be done when we feel like it).

1 Like

This would be good if possible.

As long as we fit under one of acceptable objects or purposes for charitable status, we’re already an incorporated non-profit. That’s the first hurdle.

Good idea, but super messy and very difficult to do and maintain. Can be red tape galore.

Another idea: Team up with an already existing charity that can write receipts. They can then write a receipt and further donate to us.

Creating and maintaining a charity is a lot of work; I think it would probably overload our volunteer capacity. And to be honest, I don’t think it is necessary. Charitable tax receipts are not a primary motivator for people who donate their time and money. But there is absolutely no reason we shouldn’t have a large “donate” button on our home page. Easy to do for whoever has access to our Paypal account.

I would talk to the people at BCSME (http://bcsme.org), they are really similar to us but also a registered charity. It is a ton of work. In their case they bring in more than 100k each year so it is worth their while (although about 50% goes straight back out as insurance afaik). I don’t think we’ll ever get to that scale unfortunately.

1 Like

I only know of one donation that vanished due to the lack of a tax receipt (batteries). I know the tax receipt thing helps bcsme a little when it comes to capital work but vendors need to be making money for a tax receipt to be useful, who is making money these days?

Now that we have to move this is the best reason why we should have had a charity wing. Space can be rented out at a reduced cost to us if we were a charity. And more places would have done it for the social good will as well. A non profit doesn’t get as much attention.

I honestly did not get that impression at all from any of the owners nor property managers of the dozen+ spaces I looked at last time. Owners of industrial spaces are squarely in it as a business unfortunately.