Hydraulic Press, *Fundraiser*

So far looks like we have ~1,000-$1,100 pledged for this purchase. Almost there!
If anyone would like to contribute to support this purchase, any support is welcomed and appreciated.:slight_smile:

1 Like

So which makes/sizes are we aiming for?

I’ll put in $50.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

“Prices including HST:
40 ton: $ 1232
45 ton: $ 1618 (might be able to swing a better deal on this, and we get 2% cashback because KMS.)
50 ton: $ 2352”

Based on the links above, the Princess Auto ones at 40 Ton and 50 Ton and are pneumatic, the KMS on is 45 Ton but not pneumatic.

If it comes down to it, does anyone have any opinions or preferences for 40 Ton pneumatic vs 45 ton manual? (ideally we just garner enough support for the 50 Ton pneumatic, but maybe that’s wishful thinking :P)

1 Like

@Brad @mirong The KMS 45 ton is my preference. It appears to be set up to run on pneumatic out of the box, and converting it to foot control is just a matter of getting a pedal air control valve and some standard fittings. We also have the option of upgrading to an electric hydraulic power pack later on if we see fit.

4 Likes

Sold! I had no idea. That is perfect, easy choice then. Woot!

That foot control idea definately sounds awesome too :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can/has someone double-checked the KMS 45 specs and upgrades?

We have an electric foot switch and a solenoid valve if that’s helpful.

2 Likes

@mirong, I have not checked the specs

So I went in to KMS today and had a look at their 45 ton press. It looks well built, and it ships set up for manual operation, but is set up to be able to be converted over to shop air with a minimum of fuss. It’s a 5/8 port on the input side, so we should be able to hard plumb a lot of it with a wide diameter pipe to get some relatively quick movement out of this thing. (Not like ninja fast, just a comfortable, not-frustrating speed to work with) we can do raise/lower foot pedals as part of that relatively easily as well.

Here’s the specs that I was able to pull out of the manual:

Capacity: 45 ton
Bed opening: 225 mm
Work range: 0 - 865 mm
Stroke length: 175 mm
Bed inside dimensions L x W: 255 x 820 mm
Overall dimensions L x W x H: 1320 x 800 x 1710mm

It is presently on sale for $1344, with tax included. We’d need about 50 bucks worth of fittings to convert this to shop air actuation, and we get 2% cashback, so all in all we’re looking at about $1375 for this.

I’m most excited by the sculptural possibilities of this combined with the plasma cutter station; i have visions of using the press to make round, 3-D pumpkins for a “carve your own steel jack-o-lantern with the plasma cutter” workshop.

3 Likes

I’ll yield to your expertise. In for $100.

3 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Amazing! Looks like we have 1,150-1, 250 pledged so far. I wonder how long it will stay at that sale price for… I’ll try and scrounge up some more funds on my end and see what I can do.

2 Likes

I suppose we would also need help from someone with a truck for the move. Otherwise shipping will add $$ to the cost

2 Likes

Put me down for $100

3 Likes

I am in for 100 as well.

3 Likes

I can totally fit this thing in my pontiac vibe. We good.

3 Likes

…But can you then take it out? :grinning:

1 Like

That’s when you need to fundraise for the hydraulic lift

4 Likes