How do we want to separate the work areas? A proposal

I think we should use a curtain to separate the workshop and the clean areas.

Pros:

• We do not need engineering drawings done before we can put it up
  • It is movable, which may be necessary, considering we have a 161 post thread in which no one agrees where the workshop walls should be (pleease don’t bump this)
  • On open-house nights or SHHHs, we can pull back the curtains completely and have a more open area that really shows off our tools
  • There are cool hacking opportunities in motorising it.
  • We can take it with us when we move. Keep in mind, we are only guaranteed 18 months at Cook St, and with current market prices, I don’t expect us to be there longer than three years.
  • It requires a lot less labour from volunteers to put up
  • Faster

Cons:

• More expensive on the outset
  • Won’t deaden sound as effectively
  • Won’t stop dust as effectively

Elaboration:

If we put up a new wall in the new space, we will need to get proper engineering approval, and then approval of the landlord. That’s a condition of our lease.

There’s also been no consensus about the layout, yet. It’s hard to get a feel for how much room you have to work with before any of the equipment is there. So it’ll be good to have the ability to change things around after-the-fact.

We have plans to build a proper dust extraction system. There have been two camps about that, all of the people (that I’ve seen) that have experience with these systems say that they will be adequate for our needs with or without curtains.

Up front costs will be higher (this material ain’t cheap), but this is a reusable, reconfigurable, movable wall that won’t end up with another ton of drywall in a landfill somewhere.

The sound is the only real issue in my mind, but I think that’s going to be a problem in this building either way. The building feels a little flimsy, and I don’t know how deadening a single layer of uninsulated drywall is (not very).

So does anyone have any counterarguments, curtain suggestions or donations, or cheap suppliers?

1 Like

The curtain idea has grown on me and I do think it is a solid compromise.

If there is proper dust and vapor removal (through a down draft/negative pressure setup), I can’t see anyone have objects to this.

That being said, that’s a big if. Can we make this a priority? I think we can even reuse the fan from the chemhood?

Those curtains, do not go all the way to the floor or ceiling. GAPS.

If we don’t care about dust, access control or noise. Why put curtains up?

What advantages do curtains offer over an open space?

Because they do actually make a difference with noise and dust containment while you are working even with the gaps. They will also stop flying debris.

If you want access control, lockout the tools and cabinets instead, don’t need to lockout the area.

With or without the curtains we still need some sort of dust collection.

If we can build a downdraft table with this that would go a long way. Sanding is the worst offender and having a downdraft table to sand on would be awesome. Old furnace blowers would do the trick as well.

I don’t know if there ever was was a fan in the fume hood, but when I
looked yesterday there was no fan in it.

In my experience, curtains don’t make a significant difference. Please get a demonstration / observe the curtains in use during cutting, sanding, before investing in curtains.

A down draft table is just a good idea. And will help keep the space cleaner.

I agree with this, curtains are able to stop/slow flying debris and this is one of the reasons welding curtains are used to contain sparks.

But otherwise, I have been under impressed with curtains.

The biggest con of curtains is that it means we lose a long double-sided wall, which is a significant amount of shelving space.

Having said that, I think it’s the only viable option given that we pretty much have no time to get permits for a wall.

it was never connected to a duct either, it was decoration.

I know there was never any ducting, and I am prepared to cover that, but I
did think there was a fan

It was connected to a duct out the window back at 45 west.

How much does one of these curtains cost?

I would like people to find quotes for me, if possible. I’m hoping someone
has a hook-up for a good deal (or has a decent one that we could do a
long-term loan on).

Assuming no one has a connection, it would be good if someone knows some
sources. If no one wants to take point on this, I will, although I may not
be the best person for this. I know nothing of curtains, and I also have
limited time in the next week or so.

1 Like

Don’t buy unless you get a demo or a trial period.

I don’t know how feasible this will be.

Right now our options are thus:

• Get a curtain as we’re moving in
  • Leave the shop area completely open (bad option)
  • Get proper engineering drawings for a wall and build it after we have moved in (don’t know how long this will take, people don’t have time to take point on this, reason detailed in first post, etc)(bad option)
2 Likes

Option #4: Temp solution (tyvek “curtains”?) while we get option #3

Option #5: Build a half height wall or the largest wall we can, then put the curtain at the top? I think it would be cheaper than buying a full length curtain.

In that case, I would also put a curtain rail on top of that wall to make the curtain less permeable.

This combines the worst of both worlds, where we need engineering drawings and still have the same dust concerns.

[quote=“TyIsI, post:17, topic:936, full:true”]
Option #4: Temp solution (tyvek “curtains”?) while we get option #3
[/quote]This sounds expensive and wasteful (go back and re-read the first post).

The people that have experience with curtain setups have unanimously stated that a proper dust collection system will work fine with curtains.

Sorry, I am getting frustrated. I would like to move past the bikeshedding stage and start the problem solving stage.

1 Like