How do we want to separate the work areas? A proposal

Sorry, It should have said build the largest wall we can without having to make drawings and send them in… Or can we not even build a wall?

Walls on wheels?

How about a wall that extends 4.75 inches down from the ceiling and 17.325 inches up from the floor transversed by the LOOK, A BIKESHED!

What is the reason for not building a wall?

permits.

1 Like

@SteveRoy - As I understand it, we need permits for anything we do inside the space. The cost of getting the permits + the timeline to get the permits makes a wall not practical, whereas a heavy duty curtain can be installed without permits.

1 Like

Really? permits for a non-load bearing wall.
Maybe we need a long bookcase at the far end of the new space. Or sturdy shelving with plywood on one side of it?
Something that goes from the floor to 6" from the ceiling?

Steve

I would add that we would be very restricted where would could place a wall because we could not afford to move the sprinklers.

I kinda feel like the same thing might apply for a curtain but that is based on nothing but gut instinct (and the fact that I would want the sprinklers to be effective at all times and would not want the liability for making them ineffective).

Okay, tyvek is not the best wording/example… There must be a ton of cheaper alternatives out the that could do what we’d want it to do, but at least we’d have something for now until we’d have the final solution in place.

How about 4-6 mm plastic poly, it is transparent and cheaper then paper

Just throwing an industrial curtain with a vision panel out there as an option.

4 Likes

@funvill: yes, that’s sort of what i was thinking about… 1 mil should probably do.

Those thicknesses are imperial (mils) - 6 mil is ~0.15mm. Super thin.

mil refers to military spec not mm

Paul S. Gill
VE7PXG

No, a mil is 1 / 1000 of an inch. Thousandth of an inch - Wikipedia

Well, now that we have that sorted out, what colour should the curtain be,
or should we talk about what colour to paint it?

Paul S. Gill
VE7PXG

Welding curtains are typically 2mm or 3mm thick.

The thinnest you probably want to consider is paint booth curtains which
are about 1mm thick, but these are for painting and are to an extent
disposable.

Cut resistance is very important. Recommend a canvas/reinforced type
material.
The rolls vinyl we were given are about the minimum weight I would consider
usable.

Please don’t waste money out of fear of not getting permits.
Unfortunately understanding what permits are needed and getting will take
time. :frowning:

IMHO walls, where NEEDED.
The best thing curtains offer is a visualable divider, which tells people
to confine their work to an area.
I really think subdividing the space in to work areas is a great idea, but
perhaps curtains is not the best
visual divider.

Andrea Reimer is a personal friend and she will help us go through the
hoops, IF we are having problems.
Who is taking lead on the permits? who needs an introduction?

I don’t curtains as permit avoidance but rather a way to give us more flexibility in the space. (as Jarrett has mentioned) Also the product description at industrial global does talk about how these curtains give us some dust reduction, protect equipment in shop areas, etc. I’m not adverse to permits and solid walls but with such a long space I’d rather see us with some flexilbity. For example, you have a workshop going on and 20 people in the space doing woodworking…you open the curtain up for that workshop so that people can use the tables for building and then easily go into the shop to cut pieces/use equipment, etc. Then later you close things up again.

I would be more worried about dust, but since I believe there are more plans for dust collection, I’m not so concerned about that.

So my vote is CURTAINS!

I should add - the one thing I don’t get is lasers and eye protection. If the laser isn’t enclosed are people near it, without laser-proof safety glasses at risk? Someone please let me know. :slight_smile:

Also…possibly a very cheap option…clear industrial tat we hang on electrical conduit piping.

Caveat: I don’t know how fireproof these tarps are but they are waterproof and tearproof.