[Group buy] vESC Open Source Brushless Motor Driver

Hi all,

I’ve recently purchased the PCBs for an open-source motor driver by Benjamin Vedder. It is an attractive orange/yellow colour and smells of sawdust on a rainy day.

It should be good for electric skateboards, bikes, surfboards, or huuuuge quadcopters (if you buy four).

Here is an incomplete list of some of its features:

• Fully open source.
  • STM32F4 microcontroller.
  • 5V 1A output for external electronics from the integrated buck converter.
  • Voltage: 8V – 60V (Safe for 3S to 12S LiPo).
  • Current: Up to 240A for a couple of seconds or about 50A continuous.
  • Sensored and sensorless FOC wich auto-detection of all motor parameters.
  • Firmware based on ChibiOS/RT.
  • Regenerative braking.
  • DC motors are also supported.
  • Sensored or sensorless operation.
  • A GUI with lots of configuration parameters
  • Interface to control the motor: PPM signal (RC servo), analog, UART, I2C, USB or CAN-bus.
  • Wireless wii nunchuk (Nyko Kama) control through the I2C port. This is convenient for electric skateboards.

This is just the PCB, however. They are $5 each, and prefer to sell them in groups of two. I have 6 left.

For the components, @bruce has kindly stepped up and is ordering the sets. Please join #vesc in Slack to get in on that order, expected cost is around $20. This will require some pretty fine SMD work, but we have a ton of experts at that now.

4 Likes

@toma mentioned that he has some of these, which are the same thing, just packaged really nicely and ten(!) times the price.

Does the processor support USB host mode, and does the board power the bus ?
If so I’m in.

I have no idea! You should read the documentation. I really haven’t looked
into these too much, so you know as much as I know.

I’m in for two kits.

Thanks

Mark

This looks really great. But I’m not into assembling a board myself. Anyone want to make 2 and sell me 1?

What are the dimensions of this ESP board?

Hi, I would like one kit (or as many kits as required for the Eskate)!
Thanks,
RK

you’ll need two if you want to run dual motors.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.