Group buy: Full size honeycomb grid for the laser cutter

The existing honeycomb grids are pretty worn and too small for larger paper or fabric projects, so let’s get a full size one! If this is something that you would like to see at the space, then pitch in and we’ll get one. I’ll start it off with $15.

This looks like the one to get, it’s $62USD + $77USD shipping. If someone finds it cheaper or locally post it here

4 Likes

put me in for $15 as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

i got 10 to throw in

2 Likes

I’m in for $20.

2 Likes

I can do $20

2 Likes

I’ll throw $20 at this. Full-sized honeycomb is amazing… makes cutting out fabric patterns a breeze. That actually looks like a pretty good price compared to last time I was pricing it out.

2 Likes

I’l throw in $15.

1 Like

First off let me say that I have no experience with this but since we’re talking about cutting paper and fabric do we need a 1 inch thick steel grate? Would stainless steel fabric work as well?

Of course, it could reflect the laser and that would be a bad thing or the laser could eat away the stainless steel fabric. Either of which would nullify the suggestion.

Additional work would be required such as tacking the metal fabric onto some flat stock or angle iron to hold it stiff and flat. We have the metal shop and people who know how to use it. Let me be clear, I am not suggesting putting another item on anyone’s plate. However, there are those metal shop courses that are going on and perhaps this could be an exercise for the course participants?

Just my 2; h-m-m-m-m, I up that to $15.

It’s an interesting idea, and I’d be all for a DIY solution, perhaps other people can share ideas or opinions on doing something like this. My concern would be flatness, the laser bed needs to be perfectly flat and rigid enough to stay flat during and after use.

I’m going to go ahead and say that stainless steel fabric isn’t going to be a great choice. Without the additional depth of material to wick away the heat from the laser, even if it doesn’t chew through the material it will be prone to heat warping that will ultimately render the material useless in a surprisingly short timeline. Plus at that kind of thread density you’re going to get a lot of reflection and shorten the life of your optics substantially. Honeycomb is the industry standard for good reason.

I am all for metal shop solutions; this is one of the times when it’s solidly out of our wheelhouse.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great feedback Janet.

1 Like

I’m in for $15. Thanks for organizing it!

This is the same supplier that I bought the original smaller one (470*630 mm) from - I had no luck finding anything cheaper or more local at the time.

Tristan:

Do you take etransfer? Do you have an email address I can send to?

Sure @Majicj, with any group buy I’ll message all contributors with my email for an e-transfer. If that doesn’t work for anyone let me know and we’ll sort it out.

Looks like this has $145 raised so far, and the total is about $180CAD, so once we have the next $35 I’ll message everyone.

5 Likes

we are soo close!

On 11.11 this will be on sale for 167CAD with shipping, so hopefully we can raise another $22 to make this happen.

1 Like

I’ll pitch in $25.

6 Likes

Amazing, that’s all we need to buy it then. I’ll purchase it on the 11th and message everyone with a copy of the receipt for payment. Cheers

5 Likes

weeeee! Thanks Tristan!