Green manual mill training

Hello!

Can anyone help train me on the green manual mill? I’m available in the evenings.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Please add me as well! Thank you @jimmy for starting this post!

Me too please :slight_smile: But as far as I know Richard is the best person to talk to.

Last I heard, the green manual mill needed some TLC to get back into good operational order again. Possibly a new drawbar?

First things first. The mill is functional however the tooling and set of collets is limited and you will most likely not be able to do super precise work. There was some talk of making a new drawbar so that we could use standard CNC collets but that has not happened. You will also need to purchase your own high speed steel end mills for use on this machine.

Caveat - I have no formal training in how to train people on the mill. I have used the VHS mill a bit and other mills in other shops. Richard @rsim would likely be the best person to do this training however he has limited time.

However I can do a basic walkthrough of the VHS mill for interested folks.

Before I do that I would ask that anyone I demonstrate the mill to should first:

1. Read the VHS Wiki Manual Mill page and the manual for this mill
  2. Watch the four introduction to milling videos from the Open Source Machine Tools site.

Of course the mill we have is not nearly as nice or as accurate as the one in the above videos but has essentially the same components and concepts.

Mark

1 Like

I would definitely appreciate that Mark. Which day are you available to give a demonstration?

Jimmy

Each one of the above linked youtube milling videos is about an hour long. So you have about 4 hours of “homework” to do before I will do any demos.

Let me know when you’ve watched these and I will set something up for you. Most Likely toward the end of next week, next weekend or the following week.

I should also reiterate for anyone reading this thread that the mill is for VHS member use only.

Mark

1 Like

Ok I’ll go over the material tonight.

Jimmy

2 Likes

Thank you so much Mark for doing this! I’ve been watching this guy youtube channel with lathe tutorials for a while but haven’t came across this milling section yet! Wow super cool link :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m interested in training too.

Also, if the machine needs better tooling, I’m curious how much to get it working well and how can we cover the cost. I’m a little strapped right now until I find new employment, but I want access to this machine and will gladly chip in when I can.

Hello! I am also interested in training, I have used a mill before and would like to gain access to it.

please add my name to the list of people needing training on the manual mill

thanks

1 Like

@Billiam is the metal shop champion and current resident expert. :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks. I have been helping Bill with the set up. i just wanted to be on the list if there is one being started. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been trained on the lathe and several CNCs for years, but never the manual mill. Count me in please!

I’m in too.

I’d love to join the next training session as well :slight_smile:

My time is sufficiently limited at the moment, but I’m interested and will try my best to make it once I’m available on the list.

I would like to add myself to the list.

@Billiam

Seems like the Metal Mill and Lathe are functional. Is there any way I can help out the scheduling of training?

Should we start a new request list? We could roughly organize the order by dates of original requests.

I’m thinking that it would be up to folks who have signed up previously to holler out if they feel like they should be moved up on the list etc.

There is also the request list for https://talk.vanhack.ca/t/requesting-metal-lathe-training/7898/28

Let me know how I can help.