DIY Iron Ring

Background

So I posted a few months ago asking for advice re: casting an iron ring for a friend:

You guys had some great advice, and I finally finished the project! I ended up using 304 stainless steel bar stock on a lathe and I used a hammer to get the ring pattern since that was part of the original design.

Here’s the final result:

Prototypye 1: It had been a few years since I last used a lathe, so for my first attempt I went 2mm wide on each of the dimensions intending to file it down to specs later. I used a very fast (too fast!!) autofeed speed. When a tech showed me how nice the finish is with a nice slow feed speed, I decided to make the ring to spec on the lathe.

Prototype 2: Most of the pics in the walkthrough below are from my second attempt. You’ll note that I reduced the diameter around the “ring” part before bringing outer diameter of the ring to spec and realizing I needed to reduce the diameter around the ring a bunch more. It would have been more efficient to bring everything to the ring OD then reduce the diameter around the ring futher.

The critical mistake I made, however, was parting the ring when it was still a disc. The thin outer edge of the disc didn’t have the capacity to stand up to the cutting force needed to drill out the ID. Also, I didn’t realize how much drills drift - I chose a drill bit that was too close to the desired ID. The resulting hole was slightly too big, and not perfectly circular.

That’s when a tech introduced me to collets (for holding the ring) and the boring tool (small and thin - perfec for taking off material from the inside of the ring). I practiced using them on this prototype, in order to get a nice ID on the final ring.

Here’s a pic of all the prototypes with my iron ring from APEGBC for reference (the final ring isn’t shown here)

Walkthrough

From some sleuthing I knew this needed to be a size 5 ring: 15.7mm ID, I think 1.3mm ring width, and 1.something mm wall thickness. I’ll update with the actual number if I can find some calipers…

I started with a 1" bar of 304 stainless steel, bought it for maybe $20 from the Metal Supermarket in Richmond. Pro tip: they have student discounts!

First step was to cut off a shorter piece using the bandsaw. Need enough length for the ring, as well as something to clamp in the chuck on either side.

Voila: the starting point!

Mounted in the lathe and ready to go!

I started off by facing the end, so the jagged bits wouldn’t affect how it sits in the chuck when I flip it around.

As per the intro, this is where I brought the diameter of the bit around the ring to the ID, where I should have just brought the whole reachable length to the OD.

Ah well, I flipped it around…

And cut the extended width to the ID again.

Then, I brought the ring to the desired OD…

…and realized I needed to take off more width off the extended bits in order to have enough space to hammer the outside surface properly.

At last, ready to hammer!

In the vice…

First hammer mark made!

Rest of the hammer marks made!

Note: when you hammer the edge like this, you’re just compressing the material into a new shape.

You end up with increased ring width near the outer surface, and you can see the stress from the compression when you look at the side of the ring (not visible in these pictures)

So after the hammering was done, I put it back in the lathe and very very carefully faced off either side of the ring to remove the compressed zones and return it to the original width.

Once that was done, I faced off one end…

…and drilled a pilot hole.

Instead, I should have drilled the whole thing out a little less than the desired ID, however since these pics are from prototype 2 what I actually did was to part the ring now, while it was still more of a disc than a ring.

Derp.

Now let’s jump to the final ring. I didn’t have enough time to take many pics while I was making it, so I just documented how I treated it differently once the ouside was hammered.

Here it’s mounted back on the lathe

Where I faced it and used a drill to free the ring, with a slightly small ID:

Finally, I mounted the ring in a collet and shaved off material from the inside, 5 thou’ at a time, till it was perfect :smile:

I used just a bit of sandpaper on the lathe (caution: pretty dangerous; do not recommend!) to take the edge off to make it more comfortable for wearing. Would have been nice to buff it, but I didn’t have access to a machine. Ah well, the ring is supposed to be rough!

Making the final ring took around 4 hours from start to finish. Totally worth!

12 Likes

That’s really awesome, great work! I wouldn’t have guessed it had been hammered. Thanks for the postmortem and photos!

1 Like

Wife and I have been talking about new wedding rings since we’ve both lost
ours over the years… I think this needs to happen. Very cool. Thanks
for such a detailed post!

1 Like

Aren’t the rings conferred in a pretty ceremonious way by, like, an official society?

As Canadian Engineer I received an Iron Ring on Graduation.

Unfortunately due growing up on a farm and having several watches torn off
my wrist, I gave up any hand jewelry. Also I fear losing a finger which
nearly happened twice. I as much I love the tradition of the Iron Ring I
didn’t wear one. I think now that I don’t do any industrial work I can
safely wear a ring.

The Iron Ring is worn on the little finger
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_finger (“pinky
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinky_ring”) of the working (dominant) hand.
[5] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Ring#cite_note-ringceremony-5 There,
the facets act as a sharp reminder of one’s obligation while the engineer
works, because it could drag on the writing surface while the engineer is
drawing or writing. This is particularly true of recently obligated
engineers, whose rings bear sharp, unworn, facets. Protocol dictates that
the rings should be returned by retired engineers or by the families of
deceased engineers. Some camps offer previously obligated or “experienced”
rings, but they are now rare due to medical and practical complications.

The Ring itself is small and understated, designed as a constant reminder,
rather than a piece of jewelry. The Rings were originally hammered manually
with a rough outer surface. The modern machined ring design is unique, a
reminder of the manual process. Twelve half-circle facets are carved into
the top and bottom of the outer surface, with the two halves offset by one
facet radius.

2 Likes

I attended my ring ceremony in September, and it was more than a little disappointing. Universities churn out so many engineers these days that I think these special kind of quirks become… more of a chore go the people organizing it. Which is really too bad, since I was looking forward to getting the ring and feeling like part of something from the first day I decided to go into engineering.

Either way, the ceremony was disheartening enough that I didn’t wear my ring for a few weeks. Finishing this project helped me feel like I’d earned the right to wear my ring.

If you mean why am I making an iron ring for a friend, well he’s also an engineer so he has the right to wear one!

Do you know why it’s 12? I just did 8, since 12 would have looked too crowded given the width of the hammered facet

I remember the iron ring ceremony and the following iron ring bash. It was
held right in the middle of my last term. The ceremony was quite good, but
I was right in the middle of a life crises. Not happy times, guess that is
also why I don’t wear it. If I could change one thing in my life it would
be the final 4 months of my undergrad, it was when I lost my sanity.

Hi! Please teach me how to do this in the space?? Contact me asap

This was all done at the space? We have a decent lathe?

Being from the UK Ive never heard of the iron ring thing for engineers. Mind you theres no such thing as Grad or hanging Volkwagens from bridges …

To understand the iron ring ceremony at least at uwaterloo. It is the final
year where you have free liberality to take practically any course you
want. As result each course is treated like it is the only course you are
taking. It is a bond built on a shared struggle that few outside
engineering will ever understand. At uwaterloo students from engineering
and electrical in particular are expected to crush all other faculties
academically and usually do. But doing so requires extraordinary efficiency
and endurance. The iron ring is a mark of this shared struggle, in some cases
PSTD.

The iron ring ceremony at uwaterloo has changed over the years. Now there
are multiple iron ring stags. I am sure for all taste.
http://www.bulletin.uwaterloo.ca/2015/feb/06fr.html

2 Likes

In the iron ring stag during my years, we dressed in clothes bought from
thrift stores. During the stag, it was a guarantee that your clothes will
be destroyed. With more than one stag party now, I am sure people can
attend tamer parties.

No, I used a lathe in the machine shop at UBC. I’m not sure if VHS has a working lathe tbh.

Our lathe is quite decent, actually.

1 Like